1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six crazy ideas for saving Detroit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 21, 2013.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

See the graphic above this post.

3. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

First off, as a Canadian who has spent a lot of time in Detroit, I love it. Love the vibe, love hanging out there, love the people, love the sports and events, love the architecture, love most of the neighbourhoods, love some of the restaurants, love the bars. It does have its bad parts, but a lot of good still there.

Saying that, I always thought the city should just expand into the burbs. Most of the surrounding burbs are doing well. Make the suburbs merge with the city. Although they would fight it tooth and nail. And when I mean fight, I mean old white ladies from Grosse Pointe and Birmingham rioting and overturning cars.

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/12/white_people_killed_detroit/

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

More people are going to move out of the city than move into the city for the foreseeable future. It will not surprise me if the 2020 census registers around 500,000. Any plan to turn the city around in short order needed to be hatched years ago.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Axel Foley for Mayor

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which begs the question, why is it Grosse Pointe and Birmingham's responsibility to save Detroit?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This basically is the new righty orthodoxy.

The nation would have been better off if Hoobert Heever had beaten FDR in 1932.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The U.S. GDP increased as a result of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938?

Would you mind telling me how one thing had to do with the other?

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

A new Beverly Hills Cop franchise movie primarily set in Detroit would be awesome.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe because unemployed adults were able to take the jobs of the kids and at a better wage than they did?

And you asked about the accomplishments of the New Deal. That graphic looks like a pretty good one right there.

So now there's two accomplishments.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Fuhgeddaboutit ... you'd as soon shit a yellow post-hole digger as convince those 'round these parts to take even a fresh look at the FLSA ... Getting them to even consider the idea that it was an exercise in rent-seeking and oppression initiated at the behest of politically connected manufacturers in the Northeast (and implemented at the expense of poor (and often black) workers in the South)? Why, that'd blow their minds.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you saying the motives for passing the FLSA weren't completely noble?

Hey Baron, why were home care workers excluded from the provisions of the law?

Draft saved Draft deleted