1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Situation ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Den1983, Apr 21, 2012.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

presumably you network with others in the field on a regular basis, like say at a state championship game where there are reporters from all over the state at one event or while covering college sports. also hiring managers are more likely to be impressed by someone with current employment than someone who is currently sitting around doing nothing.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Unless you're an editor who doesn't go out in the field and so 8-9 hours a day that you could be looking for jobs, you're working on shit in a dead-end job.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think there's a bit of a psychological aspect at play too. Subconsciously, you probably put forward better vibes if you are employed (even marginally) as opposed to being unemployed. Looking back at the 18 months I was unemployed, that was probably the most depressed I had been in my life.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can see that, I guess. But I'm looking for a job while employed and I feel like I can't get anything done in the search.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I worked in the unemployment office briefly before I got alid off. (True story).

It is not quite as true today as it was in the past, but employers usually prefer to hire people who have a job. The recommendations and work experience are more fresh, and often if you got laid off, fired, moved, quit, they see you as somehow "damaged."

Now, in our industry, with terrific people being let go, I do not see it as quite the stigma.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I agree with IJAG. When I was freelancing and looking for work, I found it much easier because I had time to look. Plus if you have a job and try to look quietly, you probably won't be using a current boss as a reference, thus you wouldn't have a fresh recommendation.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

not quite as true today as it was in the past? there are job ads today that say "currently employed only"

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Get a job at Walmart to get past the "currently employed only" policy crappy companies have. At least you wouldn't have to worry about comprosing your ethics by writing puff pieces, which shouldn't be a problem if you think free polls and shoes are good benefits.

9. Raiders

Raiders Guest

If newspapers fault you for credibilty, remind them of those ads they're selling on the section fronts now.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Front page ads don't damage credibility as much as MEs throwing out the first pitch at a game, or papers running "talking points" stories pitched by the Chamber of Commerce.

11. Raiders

Raiders Guest

You get my point. In fact, you expanded it.

Draft saved Draft deleted