1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Situation ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Den1983, Apr 21, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think self-insurance can be reasonable if you're young and in shape, but that's still a chunk off a 24k salary.

The perks of this gig don't amaze me. Like someone said, the car thing can be complicated (is there free gas? that's a perk), I'd rather not have a company own my phone and the free shoes...well, surely you don't want to need free shoes.

If you're unemployed, probably gotta do it. But keep sending resumes. We've all had "keep head above water" jobs and this sounds like one.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It also depends on the unemployment insurance requirements. If Unemployement requires you to accept any job offer, then you really probably should take it.

Either way, you take it, keep sending out resumes, and it won't look so bad on your resume that you're currently employed. It's easier to get another job when you already have one.

3. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

This.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Think of it as working for a team or alumni mag.

5. mb

mb Active Member

Let's say CONSERVATIVELY you're going to work a 40-hour week. Assuming you're getting the full $24K (and the no benefits thing would stop me immediately), you'll be making something along the lines of $11.5 bucks an hour. If you push 50 hours a week, you're looking at about $9.20 an hour.

If McDonald's offers benefits (and I have no idea if it does), you might actually come out ahead, financially, flipping burgers.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What does "bait for their business" mean as directed to coaches? I don't understand how someone giving a photo of a team to a coach has anything to do with upcoming news coverage. Can you elaborate on this?

But as far as taking the job ... what everyone else said. It's a job, and if you need it, you need it.

I don't think what HE does affects your credibility.

You cover the stories you're assigned or come up with (whatever your job description calls for). You're not the publisher, so if the higher-ups want news slanted or rah-rah or whatever, that's not your call.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Regardless of anything else, I would not take a job without benefits.

You are lucky to get an offer in a month.

I am just not sure it's one to take.

But like everyone else says, you gotta go what you gotta do.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I thought this post would be about this guy:

[​IMG]

My advice, in all seriousness, would be to take it and keep pumping out those resumes. It's easier to find a job when you have a job.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

He essentially tries to bribe them by giving away free stuff. Which probably doesn't sound bad, per se, but is certainly something I'm not used to.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Reading this made me think of the stories we heard a few years ago about CoachesAid.com. Expect those guys got paid better...when they got paid.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

But bribe them to do what? I guess that's the part I am not understanding. To cooperate with stories that are essentially feel-good pieces?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I will never understand the "easier to find a job when you have a job" thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted