1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sitting RGIII--good football move?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printit, Dec 11, 2013.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I don't think we will know the answer to this question until next Fall. If RG3 takes this in stride and indeed goes through the off-season fully engaged in developing his skills, he will be the starting QB next year and he will be a better QB next year than he was this year. Ergo, good move...

If, however, he takes this action as an affront and reacts to that affront by "checking out mentally" during the off-season, he will not improve as a QB next year and the Skins' franchise will be seriously damaged. Ergo...

If RG3 were just some other QB and had put up the stats that he has so far this year, demoting him would not be a big deal. The fact of the matter is that he - along with much of the rest of the Skins' team - has not played very well at all this year.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like the move.

RG3 is clearly not the player he was a year ago and that is in part because he couldn't do much during the off-season. This ensures t that doesn't happen again.

I have no idea what kind of value Cousins has. I tend to agree with LTL's assessment from the previous thread that the best way to keep his value high is to not play him, but if he does go out there and plays well, which is certainly possible given their remaining schedule. The people on ESPN and NFL Network all seem to think the Redskins could get at least a second-rounder for him during the off-season.

RG3 is the franchise, for better or worse. As long as last season is fresh in anyone's mind, the Redskins need to do whatever they can to get him back to that level. That may not be possible, who knows?

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

After 2 seasons and after 2 ACL surgeries does RGIII having the makings of an elite QB and worth two #1 draft choices, one of which will be a top 5 pick?
    And by elite I mean a QB who will, in the next 10 years, win you at least 1 Super Bowl, 2 Conference Championships and make the playoffs in 7 of 10 seasons?

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

This is funny.

Slightly higher?

The guy has been sacked 24 times in the past five games. That's an average of about five sacks per game. That rate projects out to 77 sacks in a 16-game season -- one more than David Carr took in 2002, when he became the most sacked QB in league history. And that isn't even taking into account the shots he's taken in his 37 rushing attempts in those five games.

Griffin has been absolutely hammered in recent weeks. He takes more hard shots than any QB in the league right now. Until they can protect him better and/or figure out a way to minimize that, he's another injury waiting to happen.

6. printit

printit Member

I was speaking more to Griffin's play in a vacuum, and not the Redskins inability to protect him, but you are right, it was still probably an understatement.

7. heyabbott

RG is a couple inches taller and 15 lbs heavier than Vick. No QB gets hit harder and more often than Vick. Is Griffin that much stronger and tougher than Vick to last as long with better results?

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't care how great you think your quarterback is, having the guy run around that much is poor asset management.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Griffin seems like a bigger bitch.
    Cam Newton > RG3-10

10. workerB12

workerB12 Member

Ironically the Rams may now acknowledge that they need a franchise QB and use Washington's pick to get him.

11. heyabbott

1 football. who do you hit in the face? Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Snyder is much, much worse than Jones.

Draft saved Draft deleted