1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sitting in Charlotte and Atlanta airports and bored -- help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I read somewhere that Singapore had the best airport in the world.
    Must think of an excuse to go there.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Get your team to play an exhibition game over there.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've heard that too. Apparently it's a pretty big jumping off point for travelers going from Australia to anywhere else.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't remember much of it, for reasons mentioned earlier in the thread.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lived in Indonesia for a while when I was in elementary school (my Dad's in the oil business), and we used to fly in and out of Singapore all the time. From what I remember, the city and the airport are absolutely gorgeous and ridiculously clean (ask Michael Fay).

One other thing I remember, is that when you walk out of the airport (or any other air-conditioned building) and onto the street, you get hit in the face with a pleasant blast of warm air. Haven't experienced that anywhere else in the world.

No wonder the Brits tried so badly to hold onto that place during and after World War II ...

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Singapore Airlines (or Air Singapore or whatever it is called) is supposed to be big-time, too. Actual ROOMS on some of the flights. Tried to get on one to Sydney but it was significantly more expensive than Qantas (is that the only word without a u after the q?)

In line to go to Sydney at a U.S. airport, the gate workers and all were assholes. In line to return, the workers at the Sydney airport were going around offering cookies and water and apologizing for the delays. Lord, get me back to Australia.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Qatar.

Forgot to mention, got to fly on Singapore Air once when we missed our PanAm flight. I was only seven years old and that was 25 years ago, but as I recall it was more luxurious than normal.

Cathay Pacific, the official airline of Malaysia, is supposed to be pretty boss, too.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Cathay Pacific has never had a major mishap in its history. Pretty impressive.

And if you really want that warm blast of air, try the airport in Manila.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Or Fort Lauderdale or Phoenix in August.

Draft saved Draft deleted