1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sitting in Charlotte and Atlanta airports and bored -- help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Feb 20, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was in line behind 30 people at one of those security gates, and they kept having to have people cut in line because flights were taking off and the line was too long.

It sucks.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You are tough on airports, that's for sure. (Although I agree with you on KC. Any airport that requires an external bus shuttle between terminals is bad, bad, worst.)

What airports get the imjustagirl seal of approval for positive flying experiences?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Booo.

For what it's worth, a shiny new main terminal is opening by the end of this year.

4. imjustagirl

Anything EXCEPT Atlanta. I don't even hate KC. I just thought the line should have moved faster than it did.

But anything not called Atlanta is fine with me. Never had a problem at JFK, or LaGuardia, or Midway, or O'Hare, or Lexington, or ... well any other airport.

5. playthrough

Call me crazy, I like the Atlanta airport. Part of it is nostalgia, I grew up in Atl and was at that airport every week when my traveling-salesman Dad got home (back in the day when you could meet someone at the gate). With the train and the huge concourses, that place was pretty amazing for a kid.

Today, I don't mind layovers there at all. But I would appreciate them sacking up and adding free wi-fi.

6. imjustagirl

You're crazy.

Seems like every other flight I take out of there is delayed, it's the only airport that's lost my luggage (twice now) and it's jampacked with people to the point I call it Bosnia. People strewn everywhere, lying on the floor, screaming children, weaving golf carts...it's hell on earth. I wish I never had to fly through there again.

7. playthrough

Clearly you've been there mostly at the high-traffic, bad-weather times. And losing luggage will always skew one's opinion. But I'm talking about it just as a pure layover stop. If I have to kill four hours in an airport (and I'm not engrossed in a new book or work), I'll take something that's big and full of distractions, and that's Atlanta.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've done well not to check bags lately, and it's improved my opinions (probably undeservedly so) of a few airlines.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah that security set-up was definitely designed for the pre-9-11 world.

It's been awhile since I've flown to KC but I seem to remember the terminal layout resembling a very small-scale DFW with fewer services.

10. Armchair_QB

Somebody talked about getting robbed in an airport in one of our airport bash threads awhile back and I think it happened in Atlanta.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Having learned the ins and outs of DFW in the past five years, I can see that.

12. Armchair_QB

I've had pretty good experiences with DFW and the international terminal may be the nicest one in the U.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted