1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sister Wives challenge anti-bigamy law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hadn't seen this yet ... I won't be suprised if their challenge is upheld.
    I think even outside of religious grounds they have a few good arguments to challenge the anti-bigamy law. I think you could even make a case to challenge laws against polygamy.
    If you can have as many kids as you want - like the Duggars, Jon and Kate or Octomom - why can't people be allowed to marry as many spouses as they want?
    To me, it's none of my business as long as they can support 'em.

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/07/12/sister_wives_lawsuit_polygamous_family_challenges_utah_anti_biga.html

Thoughts?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

They can't win in state court. Under the Utah Constitution, polygamy is prohibited.

http://le.utah.gov/code/CONST/htm/00I03_000100.htm

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

They could challenge the constitutionality of that section of the Utah Constitution, could they not?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not in state court. A federal court can, though.

Never mind, the Browns are taking this to federal court.

5. prettyB

prettyB New Member

Laws in Utah that make polygamy illegal are being challenged in court by the household featured in the “Sister Wives” television show. It asks for an injunction for polygamy, contending that it violates their constitution. Polygamist family from Sister Wives show taking Utah to court. Many people believe the state’s historical involvement with the Mormon church. Some Fundamentalist Mormons also marry young girls to older men, such as the case with Warren Jeffs, leader of a Fundamentalist Mormon sect and convicted sex.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did d_b make a sock puppet?

Draft saved Draft deleted