1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sister Souljah > William Shakespeare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cjericho, Nov 29, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is necessary for you to have read her work to argue she deserves that level of recognition, yes.

And please stop flat-out lying. I understand her point, but you are completely missing her attempt to prop herself up and use the race card to draw attention to herself.

You are also dead wrong to say it is about white privilege. I am talking about her resume, not the color of her skin. I offered up minority writers who do belong in the discussion. I argued all along that the problem with her argument is that she puts herself on a level she has not earned.

Your accusations against me are inaccurate and your points in this thread miserable failures. Please stop trying to pass them off as reality.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Three goalposts = three shots!

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is what you said: There are absolutely contemporary authors, white and black, who belong in that discussion.

When I asked you to give me some examples of contemporary black authors who belonged in that discussion, you said you had already done so.

So, that was you telling me that the four dead folks and one 84-year-old is your idea of contemporary authors.

4. outofplace

I didn't make an academic argument. I made a message board argument. I wouldn't even get into a race card discussion in an academic setting.

If somebody asked me the question in that setting, I would offer up African American authors who should be in a discussion of the greats of all time and, at most, suggest that there may be reasons other than race that led the author of the original piece to ask the question that set her off.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Which I never did.

You're the only one of the two of us who stated an opinion about Souljah's writing.

6. outofplace

Thank you for backing my point. You moved the goalpost by trying to make it about contemporary authors only. That isn't what she said. Now please demonstrate some integrity for once by admitting that you moved the goalposts.

Even better, admit that you attempted it earlier in the thread as well when you tried to change the discussion from a comparison of the two authors overall to a comparison of their abilities to engage a modern urban audience.

7. outofplace

So, you're going to stick with lying. Got it.

8. outofplace

Except it was part of the point she was making and that keeps sailing right over your head.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Goalposts. Drink!

Draft saved Draft deleted