1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's top 10 NCAA Tournament players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Johnson had five assists in the title game. He scored six points in the final three minutes and up until then had been hardly any factor.

He played in the 1978 tourney but was awful. He went 2-of-12 from the field and scored 5 points as Sparty lost to Kentucky 51-48 (a score which in the higher-scoring days of the 1970s would be like a 31-28 final today) in the regional finals.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Magic wasn't even the best player on his team in the finals. I give you Rich Donnelly: 5-5 from the field, 5-6 from the line. :D

Magic did have a 9-10 field, 11-12 FT game in the semis for a tidy 29 points.

And in their semifinal loss, DePaul shot 54% from the field. Unfortunately for them, Indiana State shot 63%.

DePaul also had only 5 players score.

The boxes if you're interested:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament/history/yearbyyear/1979

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Apropos of dominance but not of the top-10 list, I have never seen a more dominant single-game tournament performance than in 1999 when Wally Szczerbiak scored 43 points as Miami (Ohio) beat Washington 59-58 in the first round. He took 33 of the team's 52 shots.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'll take Greg Kelser -- 7-of-13, 5-6 FT, 19 points, eight rebounds, nine assists.

And Shoes Huffman didn't play in the final? How is that possible? I'd swear I heard Dick and Al mention him as much as they did Magic that week.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Can't believe Scottie Pippen wasn't recognized for his Arkansas dominance.

Draft saved Draft deleted