1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's top 10 NCAA Tournament players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 5, 2013.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Alex Groza of the Fabulous Five

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not making the Final Four disqualifies you from the top 10. Hell, not winning a championship should. Winning is part of a player's accomplishments.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Danny Manning won a championship as close to singlehandedly as is humanly possible, and was a damn fine player on an earlier Final Four team too.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I overlooked him. My list is amended:

I ended up cutting David Thompson because he only played in one tournament. That, like not winning a title, seems to be a worthwhile dealbreaker.

5. LongTimeListener

That's a dubious tiebreaker for players from the conference-champs-only era, but then again in a ranking of tournament players it's kind of weird to factor in anything but the actual tournament, so I guess I see your point re Thompson.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Right. This is only based on NCAA tournament. Games played has to be a factor. Really, Tyler Hansbrough has an argument for the top 20 because of that.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What I really can't figure out is how they omitted Jerry Lucas. He has all the credentials. He's a big name. He's one of the 10 best college players ever. He won a title. He went to two other title games. He played at a big school. He played in the era they seemed most interested in. He made the Basketball Hall of Fame after a great NBA career.

What more did he need to do? How do you argue Oscar Robertson over Jerry Lucas if you're only looking at NCAA tournaments?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Lou "The Toe" Groza kicked and played OT for the Browns.

Alex Groza shaved points for Kentucky.

And Austin Carr was the first player I thought of. The guy owned the NCAA tournament.

9. LongTimeListener

That is pretty screwy. I think he is just too old and, as Orange Hat said, he wouldn't sell any magazines.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

fuck Ewing. He needed Michael Graham to thug it up to win.

Jerry Lucas not in the top ten. The list is Fail

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He shaved points in the NBA. That is correct.

He's two years younger than Robertson.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Does Hurley have any argument over Magic?

Draft saved Draft deleted