1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's Title IX Issue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 3, 2012.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

With a Zero sarcasm response. There are so few upper middle class white left that it doesn't matter. Aren't they all missing?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You really think every female athlete gets a full ride now?

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

D1 Women's soccer, probably the shiniest example of Title IX, only gives out 15-ish full rides. Look on any D1 team, there are usually 25 players.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Still wondering what the actual agenda is.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Same situation in college baseball in a lot of places. In baseball and soccer, and most other sports not called football or basketball, coaches have the option of giving partial rides.

What I'm getting mostly out of this thread, though, is: Titile IX is a good idea, unless it rubs up against my beliefs. But, yes, there are places where some fairly strange choices have been made in the interest of "gender equity." I'm thinking of Fresno State, where offerings include women's lacrosse, even though they're way out of the lacrosse hotbeds on the East Coast, and equestrian.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Cut football down to size and you have a much easier Title IX solution.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Certainly at the lower college levels that might be the case but at D1 level the football revenue is part of the Title IX solution.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The number of programs that make that kind of money is probably a lot smaller than you think and certainly not enough to throw out the idea. I don't think the idea was a forced reduction for everybody, but individual schools making the choice to drop a few football scholarships rather than cut entire programs.

9. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

By the DI level you mean the top 30-40 BCS schools (if that). The majority of DI schools lose money on football.

10. Cat scratch fever

Cat scratch fever New Member

I wish the SI issue had at least one in-depth read on Title IX. Didn't include a substantial piece of deep journalism, just a bunch of short takes. All were interesting...none were particularly revelatory.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually, they don't. Every single team from a BCS AQ conference, plus independents Notre Dame and BYU, makes gobs of money in football, thanks to their TV contracts. And those schools make up more than half the membership if FBS football.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Actually, they do. DI football covers FBS and FCS. Ain't no FCS schools making any cash on the pigskin.

Draft saved Draft deleted