1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's Title IX Issue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 3, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This week SI devoted their entire issue to celebrating 40 years of Title IX signed into law by ...... Richard Nixon.

Ironic

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Title IX was landmark legislation but devoting an entire regular weekly issue to it is ridiculous.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did Joe Cowley write a guest column?

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I thought this read "SJ's Title IX Issue" and thought maybe someone was suing for more female posters. You'd know something was fishy when Pickle Juice was named a moderator.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why not devote an issue to it, given the impact it has had on the sports culture in the United States? There is a lot that can be written on the subject and I see nothing wrong with doing something a little different.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

SI does a Title IX issue faithfully every February.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

On my iPad, I'm scrolling through the slideshow of the top 40 women athletes of the Title IX era. On each page, there's an ad to download the SI Swimsuit issue app. Interesting juxtaposition there.

I started kindergarten 2 months after Title IX was passed. I had male gym teachers throughout elementary school who had no interest in what girls could do athletically. I was small for my age and not very coordinated. I got no encouragement from those teachers and never developed any interest in participating in anything athletic. I did the best I could to avoid gym. When forced to, I tried as hard as I could, but I sucked and it was embarrassing. Gym was the only school thing I wasn't good at. To this day, I avoid exercise like the plague (there are some health-related reasons for that, too). I sometimes wonder if I'd gone to school after Title IX had been around longer if maybe my gym teachers would have been more enlightened and encouraged the girls more.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Where were your parents?

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Neither of my parents was athletic or did any kind of regular exercise. I don't blame the gym teachers for my lack of athletic interest now. I've had plenty of time to overcome that on my own. I just look at it like academics. I had teachers when I was young who encouraged me academically and that made a difference. Just makes me wonder if it would have made a difference on the athletics side, too.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm with OOP on this one. I haven't read the issue, but I'm sure there's plenty of material worthy of coverage.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As a contrarian piece, I wouldn't mind reading something about how much in scholarships has been transferred over the years from poor and working-class black (and Hispanic) boys to rich and upper-middle-class white girls. From scholarship cuts in football to men's basketball to drastic cuts and often elimination of track, wrestling and baseball, that's a few thousand scholarships a year. Those scholarships are instead going to sports like swimming, soccer, gymnastics, golf -- even basketball is a much more suburban sport for girls than it is for boys.

The total dollar figure would be pretty large. And I'm guessing that in the abstract, most Title IX supporters would share the view that increasing educational opportunities for underprivileged kids is a worthy goal and should be a priority of the university system.

Probably not a story for a celebration issue, though.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There's plenty of other material in the edition than Title IX stories, and on the whole it's been a great law, albeit one with some unintended consequences, some of which LTL has detailed.

Reading the Title IX timeline along the bottom of the pages, the 1990s Illinois ruling that men cannot use Title IX to sue when their sport is dropped for "budgetary reasons," a euphamism for dropping men's sports to achieve proportionality, but that women can, is an interesting application of the concept of equal rights under the law.

Draft saved Draft deleted