1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's The Cauldron vs. Barstool Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, Jan 7, 2016.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Oh no, I triggered you.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

That's not hard. TWSS?!

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I dont know what the Cauldron or Thought Catalog are. Barstool Sports? Meh. Don't waste my time

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Good to see we're still setting the bar high

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

RIP to the Cauldron's relationship with SI

Sports Illustrated parts ways with The Cauldron

Didn't realize Jamie O'Grady had so many Twitter wars -- Vice, barstool, Deadspin. I wrote for the Cauldron for a few months back before they signed up with SI, had a mixed bag experience. They weren't even paying people at the time, but I was trying out some new material/angles and I was willing to let it go. But then the guy literally went radio silent one weekend after I'd submitted a 1,000 word piece. Finally when he responds, he writes, "Dog died, not publishing anything this weekend."

Pretty much the height of unprofessional behavior IMHO for the editor in chief of a site. By the time the piece ran, it was dated.

Later I pitched them stuff and they said they were interested. Then asked how much I wanted for a piece before I even wrote it. Said I wanted the going rate. He didn't respond, as if embarrassed to say. Just weird. The article I pitched was time-sensitive, so I went ahead and wrote it. Sent it to them and he writes back several days later -- after I followed up several times -- and said that the story is underreported and underwritten. It was laughable and insulting.

I turned around and placed the same article with a national site the very same day.

In short, I'm not surprised the Cauldron's fortunes have seemingly plateaued.

6. Funny this happens the same day Pat McAfee quits the NFL amid a $15-million contract to join Barstool Sports.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

And that happened on the same day Goodell claimed to not know what Barstool Sports is.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd love to know more about that $15 million contract. Sounds like an NFL contract that makes headlines but the reality is a fraction of the $$.

9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Jamie O'Grady sounds like a guy who lives at home with his mom and is 35. Wonder if he's friends with that loser Daulerio.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Probably gets the 15 million if he attracts as many Twitter followers as Beyonce.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

12. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

OK, this story is incredible. This Yoder character seems too wild to be real, like a true-to-life Nigerian email scammer, I went down the rabbit hole digging on this guy and, I mean, just, wow.

I don't know if "deranged" is the proper term for this guy. Maybe "menace to society"

Sports Blog: Half of Michigan team was "stoned" during App State loss

Draft saved Draft deleted