1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's The Cauldron vs. Barstool Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, Jan 7, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It'd be nice if Barstool and Deadspin ate each other's children.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Who are those great baseball and football writers you are talking sbout?

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me what The Cauldron is? This is the first I've really heard of it. A quick browse of their site gives me no idea. The "About the Cauldron" is just a list of editors and about 345 writers, which includes Dick Vitale, Tony Hawk and Hope Solo. Is it SI's answer to Grantland?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I assume the baseball writer Rhody referred to is Jared Carrabis. As far as I know, his one big "scoop" was figuring out that Pablo Sandoval was tweeting during a game. And Boston.com is a sorry excuse for a website nowadays.

5. Mr. Mediocre

Mr. Mediocre Member

Low-paying content mill, only its niche is thinkpieces instead of 200-word copy-paste. SI's answer to Thought Catalog.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The same SI that's been promoting semi nude photos of Rhonda Rousey all week is lambasting another site for peddling in photos of girls....hmmmm.....

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

When was the last time SI called a women a c..t?

8. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Maybe I’m being too simplistic and/or contrarian here...but is it really newsworthy that there’s douchebags on twitter? From what I see, some random twitter bro called her a pussycat, not anyone actually associated with Barstool. You can gather screencaps of angry, profane tweets toward just about any subject or public figure if you do enough searching. (not really that hard)

edit: ha the c word corrects to pussycat

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I said writer, not reporter. Yeah, he breaks down games as a fan, but it's far more entertaining and enjoyable to read than anything by the team's beat writers. Jerry Thornton wrote about the Patriots for Barstool before he got swiped up by WEEI. His Monday breakdown was better than the beat guys' gamers week in, week out. Since moving to EEI, he's gotten a little more schticky and less focused on the technical aspects of the game, but it's still a good read.
    These guys don't appeal to everyone, but if you're 18-40 that's who you're reading because it's entertaining.

And if I type pussycat something else comes up?

EDIT: Holy jesus that's awesome.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The pussycat filter has been in existence here for years.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I guess I wasn't writing pussycat nearly enough.
    Any other filters?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Noted expert on women's issues says it's not a big deal:

Draft saved Draft deleted