1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's Super Bowl Coverage Archive 1967-2010

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jan 31, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Very cool...all the game stories back to the days of Tex Maule and Dan Jenkins.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/01/31/super.bowl.SI.stories/index.html

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

when I get the time for this, I am so all over this...

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

thanks for the link...I don't have the time, but I'm all over it anyway...at least to check it out for now :)

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Interesting how Maule covered the first eight, Jenkins covered five straight, Zimmerman wrote 14 of 15, Telander wrote 2 of 4, Silver wrote 12 straight and then, in the last four years, four different writers have been responsible for the Super Bowl gamer.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Am I the only one who is surprised that PK has never written the gamer?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Initially, yes. And when you think about it for a bit, it's not surprising. Dr. Z had the lock for so many years and by the time he gave it up, PK became PK...

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

I thought the same thing. I seem to remember a story by King that I really liked after one of the San Francisco Super Bowl wins in which he spent the previous week with the OC -- Holmgren, I believe it was, maybe Shanahan -- while the OC watched film and put together the game plan. I remember being awed by the access and the information (I'm an Xs and Os nerd) and thinking it was one of the best things I had ever read in SI, especially since the game had played out exactly as the OC envisioned it. I thought it was a Super Bowl gamer or at least a sider from the same issue but it doesn't seem to be in any of the issues from those games. And I did a search of the SI vault and couldn't find it. Am I losing my mind or does anyone else remember that?

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is it possible that the story was embargoed for a week, which is why he got the access in the first place?

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Maybe, but I did the archive search and it didn't come up. I'm thinking Alzheimer's might be setting in.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Are you talking about this one, written by Dr. Z: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1123117/index.htm.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My favorite PK Super Bowl moment was when he was pool reporter for The Raiders in XXXVII and did not report that Barret Robbins missed Saturday walkthrough.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Wow. Alzheimer's indeed. I could have sworn that was Peter King, and I thought the Holmgren stuff was the lede or near it, not that deep in the story. I read the first two pages of that story as I was going through the links, didn't see the Holmgren stuff and went to the next story.

Thanks for reminding me how decrepit i am.

Draft saved Draft deleted