1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's Sports Media Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 8, 2013.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Richard Deitsch ranks his top 10. Some interesting choices...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130306/most-powerful-people-sports-media/

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dino Costa has more power than half that list

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Let's do an SJ version of this.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's a pretty dreadful list... IMO...

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He does? How so?

I've heard bits and pieces of his show. I enjoyed his Friday night gambling segments. Aside from that, it was mainly him telling me how great he is.

6. Mizzougrad96

He mentions AWoj and says he "has 370,000 Twitter followers" as if that's proof of his reach... I like AWoj, but his inclusion on this list is absurd.

Meanwhile...

Adam Schefter - 2.1 million followers
    Peter King and Chris Mortensen are both over a million...

Including former athletes on this list is a huge reach. I love Barkley on TNT. How does he have power? How does Bradshaw have power?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In the context of that list -- on-camera people only -- Barkley has immense power. If he goes away, that show would have a major crisis on its hands.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit about twitter or the power of twitter, but don't you have to filter out all the fake twitter accounts before you list numbers as evidence of anything?

9. Mizzougrad96

Well, the only reason I brought it up is because he listed that about AWoj. It's stupid to say that Schefter is five times more influential than Jay Glazer because he has five times as many followers... But there are a lot of people in sports media who have close to or more than a million followers...

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Insomnia-curing linkbait.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Half kidding but the thing with Costa is that he has strong opinions and has a loyal following. Some guys on that list are not opinion changers or shapers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Adrian Wojnarowski is the only interesting choice on that list, and that pick is so 2011.

Draft saved Draft deleted