1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's Phab Phive

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Guy_Incognito, Mar 30, 2011.

1. housejd

housejd Member

Kent Mercker?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Pete Smith?

(Note, I looked in BaseballReference).

And a phun phact about that Braves team. In addition to their big phour, Smith and Mercker were the only other guys to start games for them that year.

3. sully84

sully84 New Member

Does look like Pete Smith. As a huge Braves fan at the time I have to say it's hard to tell because his eyes are basically closed in the pic. Seems like I remember both Mercker and Smith with at least a little hair up top, too.

Blanton being thrown in is annoying to me when it can be avoided, although I understand why the other pitchers keep making a point to mention him, and I certainly understand mags taking pics with League Average Joe if that's the only way you get the pic. Still, if I'm writing a Phab Phour story I'm definitely going go ahead and acknowledge how the big four want to say Blanton is part of the dominant group but then quickly dismiss that point. He's part of that rotation, sure, but he's not newsworthy. He wouldn't be better than a No. 4 on any team that doesn't have a shit rotation. He's definitely not a bad No. 5, but the only reason the rotation is such a significant story is that they have four No. 1's, not four No.1's and a solid No. 5.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And they all have losses in the postseason to the Giants in common as well [/fanboi]

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to reading the story because of who wrote it. Couldn't believe when I saw that name on the cover for the baseball preview cover story.

I imagine the players themselves are going to start reading it and say, "WTF? This is what this guy got from those cliches I broke off for him???"

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The fifth guy in a successful pitching rotation (esp. the Braves over the years) is a lot like being the second-string QB for the 49ers in their heyday.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He's only in the Pro Football Hall of Fame ...

[​IMG]

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And none of the four ever threw a no-hitter. Mercker did. One and two-thirds no-hitters, in fact.

EDIT: Because I'm an idiot.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It is Pete Smith.

Mercker was still in the bullpen at that stage. He threw a complete game no-hitter against the Dodgers in 1994.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/04081994.shtml

(He also combined on a no-hitter in 1991).

10. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

This is going to be the definition of bad luck in philadelphia—buying tickets to a game weeks in advance and finding out Blanton is on the mound.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you schedule a series following an open date (meaning Blanton's start will be skipped), odds are you'll have better luck.

12. I think the Phillies have said they don't plan on skipping over Blanton because of off days because of the high number of innings Halladay and Hamels threw last year.

That being said I bought tickets to see the Phils and Rockies on May 18 and I'd be willing to put money on the fact that I'll see Blanton.

Draft saved Draft deleted