1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's "Ohio State: The Program"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 85bears, Mar 6, 2007.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

Did we ever talk about this issue? I really enjoyed Wertheim's look at the various aspect of Ohio State's Fortune 500esque athletic program, from Greg Oden on down to a vendor. A lot of quick reads that contributed to an overall theme. Great enterprise journalism that wouldn't be out of place in an ambitious newspaper - even at the preps level.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Gator fans are already grumbling, especially since the football and basketball teams are the reigning national champions, the football team pounded OSU to win its title, and the basketball team whacked OSU by 30 in December.

3. 85bears

85bears Member

The reason they picked Ohio State is because it has the largest athletic department in the country - most varsity sports, etc.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I thought Mount St. Mary's had more varsity sports than any school in the country?

And while your answer is logical, trying being logical to a Gator fan. It's not possible.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe so but they don't have football.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Felt like a little something missing to me since there wasn't a mainbar to really tie everything together. I like the piece-by-piece approach as a change of pace, but maybe a quick trend story instead of a collection of short pieces and graphics, would have made it even better.

Draft saved Draft deleted