1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's (new) 50 Greatest NBA Players list

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Feb 9, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Too low.

Gator likes this.
  2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think I agree.

Guys I would put definitively ahead of Kobe: Jordan, Magic, Russell, Kareem, Duncan, Bird, Wilt
    Guys where I could see the argument: Hakeem, Shaq, Dr. J, LeBron (who will pass him), Oscar, Barkley, West, Moses

That's about it. Curry and Durant will be on that list eventually, but they're not in the discussion yet. If pressed, I'd put Kobe at 9 between Hakeem and Shaq.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Will pass him? You think the four-time MVP is eventually going to be better than the one-time MVP?

And more to the point: LeBron is not in your top 10?

Tweener likes this.
  4. Big Circus

He's at 12 and he just turned 31. He'll be in that top tier, potentially very high up it.

5. LongTimeListener

OK. There are 11 players better on your list than the four-time MVP. I ... understand now?

6. Big Circus

I'm not running him down. I'm also not using MVP voting as the barometer. He's got a shot to pass everyone but Jordan. It's not an insult.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Paul Arazin still in, while Wes Unseld, Pete Maravich and Nate Thurmond (among others) are out.

Hmmmm. Paul Arazin must have been really good.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask.

Took the boy, who turns 13 next month, to a game Saturday night. The most enjoyable part for him was yelling "Kobe!" every time the visitors shot, hoping to make them miss. And until about midway through the second half, it worked like a charm, which just made it funnier and funnier to him (and eventually to me too, although I had to point out to him it wasn't so much that he had magic powers as that Florida Atlantic was God-awful.)

But as we started talking, I realized that he wasn't just mocking Kobe's end-years decline. His entire point of reference for Kobe (and that of his friends) was a broken-down ball hog. At halftime I pulled up the 81-points game highlights on YouTube and he was dumbfounded. By the end of the night, he was in truther mode and half-joking that it couldn't have happened.

9. LongTimeListener

On that note, dixie, my son and his friends like to pass this around:

[​IMG]

dixiehack likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Waaaaah. Wilt should be No. 1.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

LeBron is unquestionably top 5 at this point. I've put him as high as 3, right behind Jordan and Magic.

I'd put Kobe in the top 10, but at who's expense, I'm not sure. Probably West's.

Draft saved Draft deleted