1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's Faces in the Crowd

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Dec 5, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how SI selects its faces for the Faces in the Crowd section?

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

people send them in, typically.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yep ... they have link on their website. I sent one in a few years ago after covering a pitcher who threw a perfect game and a no-hitter (one hit batsman away from another perfecto) back-to-back in the same week. It's still one of the coolest things I've ever covered. He deservedly made it in.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've nominated two in my life. Both made it in. ;)

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Their criteria for inclusion seems to have slipped dramatically in recent years.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

No, you're thinking of Sportsman of the Year.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't they pay for contributions at one point?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, they did. Many moons ago, I sent in one about a 70-year-old who had two holes-in-one in one round, with a head shot of the guy, and they paid $75.

I guess this means they don't pay now? What a ripoff!

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I should clarify: They paid $75 for the Faces item and $75 for the photo, as I recall.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ever notice that they have, at minimum, one hot high school or college chick? Always.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

And God bless them for that.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

You mean .... faces in the crowd, one of Rick Reilly's favorite column topics?

Though, he did write one - I think in the past year - that brought tears to my eyes. The dad whose son died, and he had always wanted to submit his son's accomplishments to FintheC. Touchy story, no doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted