1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI's complete story archive going online

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Mar 19, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I just re-read "A Colt Made Philly History" by Mark Bowden. It was the story I'd been wanting to read again for the longest time.

It was like finding an old friend after years apart.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I would be more interested in the photos.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cheryl tiegs. Fishnet. End of thread.

4. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

For those interested in starting from the beginning and working your way forward through the years, here's a link to the very first issue, August 16, 1954: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/7370/index.htm

I plan on doing a lot of skimming through the issues and reading whatever catches my eye through the years.
    Thanks for the future good times, SI.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Eddie Mathews under the lights, the classic first SI cover. The second cover? A bunch of golf bags.

That always made me laugh.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Too bad SI didn't also post the two prototype issues that were published to show advertisers what they were in for. The second, titled "Dummy" because Time Inc. was still searching for a name, was almost exactly like the early years of SI, and published on deadline in the spring of 1954. The first was completely different, more New Yorker-ish.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Here's my favorite story. From the Nov. 23, 1970 issue, this is George Plimpton's take on the hours leading up to Muhammad Ali's fight with Jerry Quarry.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1084326/index.htm

I almost think our favorite stories from this vault deserves its own thread. This is fantastic stuff.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

A promise finally made good. What's next? That Neil Young career retrospective?

I'm going to the Dan Gable story in the Bobby Hull/Hawks cover and issues that I used to have, covers of George Chuvalo, Bill Bradley and Pistol.

YD&OHS, etc

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well then, here ya go ...

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/photo/home/index.htm

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have a really busy day ahead but have spent most of the morning going through the vault getting cauight up on Gary Smith's Radio and Amish basketball coach stories as well as Mark Kram's gamer on the first Ali-Frazier fight.

I may be running a bit behind the rest of the day.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

Huggy, check out the story on Larry Csonka from 7-25-79.
    I miss Zonk.

12. rponting

rponting Member

Can anybody explain why I keep getting this guff instead of text?

Error: on line 18, column 28 in content/articles/articleTextMag.ftl Expecting a date here, found: November 23, 1970 The problematic instruction: ---------- ==> ${pub_date} [on line 112, column 67 in content/articles/articleTextMag.ftl] in include "/${map[key].viewFile}" [on line 9, column 17 in content/articles/articleTextSections.ftl] in include "/${sportsContent.viewFile}" [on line 107, column 49 in layout/mainLayout.ftl] ---------- Java backtrace for programmers: ---------- freemarker.template.TemplateModelException: Error: on line 18, column 28 in content/articles/articleTextMag.ftl Expecting a date here, found: November 23, 1970 at freemarker.core.BuiltIn$dateBI$DateParser.parse(BuiltIn.java:330) at freemarker.core.BuiltIn$dateBI$DateParser.getAsDate(BuiltIn.java:291) at freemarker.core.EvaluationUtil.getDate(EvaluationUtil.java:125) at freemarker.core.Expression.getStringValue(Expression.java:105) at freemarker.core.Expression.getStringValue(Expression.java:93) at freemarker.core.DollarVariable.accept(DollarVariable.java:76) at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:196) at freemarker.core.MixedContent.accept(MixedContent.java:92) at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:196) at freemarker.core.ConditionalBlock.accept(ConditionalBlock.java:79) at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:196) at freemarker.core.MixedContent.accept(MixedContent.java:92) at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:196) at

Draft saved Draft deleted