1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sirius

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Crimson Tide, Jan 2, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The Roady2 is great. I put the magnetic antenna above the driver's side door (closest to the center of the road, farthest away from trees and buildings). I have to deal with some wires but I like to have the portability when I have to drive the wife's family truckster. XM has a deal where a subscriber can buy a second service for approximately $6/month, but I've been toying with the idea of getting a similar Sirius outfit for her car and keeping the XM for me. That way I have all major sports packages. Hell, I might just keep both in my car. The way I figure, if I can work simultaneously on a Mac and a PC, I can have both satellite formats.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

A Bose iPod mount portable.... whatever.

3. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Howard Stern stinks and I don't like him.

4. tommyp

tommyp Member

NY Arbitron ratings: Fall '05 Winter '06 Spring '06 Summer '06
    WFNY-FM Talk/Personality * 1.1 1.4 1.3

I don't see these numbers translating to the nation's top show, that's for sure. And if it is the nation's top show, I certainly don't see the bump in the ratings that an old, creaky, unfunny Howard gave it just a year earlier.

That summer '06 1.3 ranked 23rd in NYC, behind such stalwarts as WNEW-FM, WFAN, two all-news stations, and a classical station.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I've got both _ Sirius in the car, XM in the house.

I had the Sirius antenna installed at the dealer when I bought my car. Rarely have a problem losing signal.

I have the XM2Go system in the house. Had trouble getting the antenna set, but finally got it figured out.

I think both are excellent. Just depends on what you want to listen to.

6. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

what happens when you take JV and Elvis' horrible ratings out of the 9-10 am slot? Don't get in a pissing match with a firefighter, baby you just can't handle the flow!

O&A's ratings are up in many of the 25 or so markets they're in including:

I normally don't like covering anything about terrestrial radio ratings - mostly because I feel the Arbitron ratings system has more holes in it than swiss cheese. But for the XM folks, this news points to increased exposure on a highly targeted audience. Whether you're a fan of them or not, the fact is that O&A on terrestrial provides daily brand awareness to XM Satellite Radio as they have free reign to plug XM.

Anyway, back to the ratings.

In the just released Arbitrends:

WYSP/Philadelphia bumped up in Persons 12+ (from 1.5 to 2.4), Persons 18-34 (from 1.8 to 4.1), Persons 25-54 (from 1.9 to 3.2) and Men 18+ (from 2.3 to 3.9).

In WFNY (formally WXRK Krock) in New York City, the Opie & Anthony Show doubled the David Lee Roth's ratings - which admittedly wasn't too hard to do - with Persons 12+ (1.1 - 2.3), Persons 18-34 (1.4 - 4.2), Persons 25-54 (1.6 - 3.4) and Men 18-34 (1.9 - 4.0).

Keep in mind that these Arbitrend ratings are only for the first month of on terrestrial radio.

[via FMQB]

UPDATE: WBCN/Boston Arbitrends are in, and here's the breakdown:
    Persons 12+ (from 1.6 to 3.4), Persons 18-34 (from 2.3 to 6.7), Persons 25-54 (from 1.5 to 4.1), and Men 18-34 (from 1.9 to 5.3).

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/opie-anthony-ratings-rise-for-cbs-radio.html

7. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

I think people making message board arguments in favor of one morning show or the other are the lamest kind of fanboys around. Much worse than the college football Web site types.
    No offense.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Don't drop it again. I believe the Visor has been eliminated from the XACT product line because Sirius introduced a receiver of its own to fit in that product space. If you're lucky, you can still find a leftover Visor for $29 or so (hella bargain).

Draft saved Draft deleted