1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sirius

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Crimson Tide, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Uh, if you use an FM transmitter on an iPod you have to do the same thing. If you use a line input on an iPod, you can use a line input on XM or Sirius.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I would say it could be argued that diehard ANYTHING fans (football, baseball, basketball) tend not to listen to their sport on the radio.

But sometimes you're out driving and have no other way.

That being said, I predict one day an XM or Sirius listener will practically drive right into a tornado . . . missing the warning, which was only available by way of his terrestrial local station.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Headphones.

ZERO static. Perfect playlist.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Buy XM.

Seriously, and I'm not saying this to be a wiseass, but you might want to get it installed by someone at Best Buy or some place like that. My equipment was installed there and, outside of one or two severe thunderstorms last summer and a very occassional (and brief--like a handful of seconds long) outage, I haven't had a single problem with losing the signal. And I travel to bumfuck to see my parents and have been to Cooperstown with the XM.

5. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Forget about XM -- it will be absorbed by Sirius.

XM-- Baseball, WHO ARE OPIE AND ANTHONY???

Sirius -- NFL, college football, NASCAR (JUST SWITCHED FOR THIS YEAR, think they went with the dying brand? I think not) plus Howard Stern.

NASCAR and Stern keep Sirius alive. You have to with the team sporting the best players.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Exactly.

Courtesy of Clear Channel (a company that makes Singleton and JRC look like benevolent, paternalistic companies), over-the-air radio is an absolute wasteland of right-wing drones, eight-minute commercial blocks in between the same 15 songs that sucked the first time you heard them, never mind the 3,806th.

If you're in your car for more than mere minutes every day, the $13 a month is well worth it. Since my wife got it for me 2 1/2 years ago, I consider my XM the best $13 I spend every month.

And a merger would do wonders for the 150 shares of Sirius stock I bought last week with part of my bonus.

7. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Ask Boston Mayor Menino and the fine folks at St. Patrick's Cathedral. They're only heard by more than a million folks on Free FM and many more on XM. How many listeners did Howie lose when he went to Sirius?

BTW, In six months I've never lost the XM signal for more than 15 seconds at a time. In addition to the Virus, three comedy stations, Hair Metal heaven (the Boneyard), National lampoon station and Oprah, XM has wonderful college football coverage.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Wearing headphones while driving is against the law. Not that I've never done it.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

You didn't really just list Oprah as a plus, did you? :D

10. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Yes, I know that baseball would be better for listening, but that's on XM and Alabama is on Sirius. Since I'm in the bumfuck West, the Tide is only on TV if it's CBS or ESPN. I can't even get the pay-per-views out here.

Plus, my preference to nonsensical dribble is Howard.

I think I'd rather have a semi-portable boom box for work and maybe a nicer system for home. I rarely drive more than 20 minutes at a time, so I guess the car setup isn't worth it.

11. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

You Doth protest too much! You go girl! Of course, Howard Stern invented Oprah. He is the king of all old media.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I use the XM roady2 in my car. I don't even put the antenna on the roof--it's velcroed to my dashboard. The one time I had problems with the signal was when I was driving through the redwoods last year--all the tree cover blocked it. I've driven the length of I-10 with XM, changing the FM frequency about 3 times and never losing signal.

Also, there's a home kit with the roady so you can bring it inside.

If you've decided on Sirius, I'd get whatever they have that's like that--it's the most versatile.

Draft saved Draft deleted