1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sirius radio = fail (a rant)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think best station on XM is Underground Radio- the one run by Little Stevie

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, the "will he or won't he re-sign" has grown quite tiresome. The show isn't the same without Artie and isn't as edgy as it has been in the past. I still listen all the time, but when they played the best of Sirius this past week, I was thinking how little of the last year would make the cut.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Man walks into a convenience store, says "I want a newspaper."

Clerk says, "That'll be a buck for USA Today, 50 cents for your local rag."

Man says, "That's too much to pay. I want it free."

Clerk responds, "Then go read the news online. You're paying for monthly Internet service anyway."

Man decides this is a good idea, goes home and does so. Newspaper industry collapses due largely to advertiser loss, but journalists still lament the giving away of their product for free. They discuss this at great length, between demanding that fees for services including satellite radio be reduced to a level they find more palatable.

The End.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Well, then I got screwed, because I didn't get one single of month of XM for free. I've been paying for it for as long as I've had it. Maybe I got in on the XM craze before they started giving it away for free. I think it's gone from $9.99 to $12.99 a month, which I don't mind paying. It's one of the few things in my life that I use on a daily basis (some days my TV never even turns on), so the $12.99 a month is worth it to me.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I just went to a buffet. It was $8. I offered $5. They wouldn't let me eat. I said the food's already just sitting there, it's going to go to waste! There's no one here! They said forget it. I stomped my feet and held my breath, but just passed out.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

So negotiating for a better rate isn't acceptable in America?

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think it's acceptable, but it shouldn't be assumed that it's going to happen.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

We had Sirius for a couple of years, but when the merger took place, we dumped it. The new stations just weren't as good (we really liked a blues station as well as a kids' station), so we canceled. I got a ton of calls asking me to sign back up, but I had already taken the unit out of the car, and now, I'm not even sure where it is. Sure glad I didn't pay $500 for a lifetime subscription when we signed up.

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The pharmaceutical industry takes a beating for many reasons, not the least of which is that they sell pills that take 20 cents to manufacture for $4 apiece.

What the bashers choose to ignore is that developing the first pill may have cost that company $250 million.

There is no significant incremental cost for Sirius to add (or renew) a customer these days. But they had to slingshot several very expensive satellites into geo-sync orbit many months before they signed up their first customer. And those birds will start dropping into the Pacific Ocean some day down the road, so they need to start saving for a replacement now (assuming Chapter 7-11-13 doesn't happen first).

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. I was in my car for about 30 minutes today and the segment about Artie and his Letterman appearance was on. I was laughing my ass off and realized that most of my favorite Stern moments (I came to the Stern party late) involve Artie in some way.

If Stern signs on for another year or two, which I suspect he will at this point, they're going to need another voice in there since I doubt Artie's ever coming back.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes it is.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Obviously, if your best moments involve Artie.

The show's decline can be traced to Artie's arrival. It went from a gang of equals to Howard and the Sycophants.

Draft saved Draft deleted