1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sirius radio = fail (a rant)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Bankruptcy probably looms either way.
    I can't give a product or service away for less than it costs me to do business. Granted, if I accept your offer I get $50 a year for two years that I would otherwise not have.
    However, I open the door for more and more customers to make the same demand. For example, if I have four customers paying $100 a year I am making $400 a year. If I lose one customer, I'm making $300 a year. If I let all four drop to $50 a year, I'm making $200 - I doubled my loss. If I keep you on at $50 and I refuse the other three customers the same deal, they leave and now I'm only making $50 a year.

The loss I control is better than the loss I can't control.

Of course, if I'm giving everybody the $100 a year offer and it doesn't cover my operating cost, I'm going bankrupt anyway.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Someday soon, WBYH will be up and running. All Night Ranger and Loverboy, all the time!

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I offer you $.16 / month for the a la carte Night Ranger package.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Call up Sirius and tell them you're going to cancel. Demand the cancellation department. When they ask you why say it's too much money. They'll offer you a deal where you pay 19.99 for five or six months.

I've been doing that for the last 18 months. The day they don't give it to me I'll cancel.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Hey thanks for the tips.

Just started getting notices of renewal on the verge of my six-month free introductory preview running out. Personally I don't love it. There are way too many commercials on the talk programs I listen to (or attempt to listen to). It's virtually indistinguishable from terrestrial radio in the products they hock.

As for music, it's fairly shitty. The quality never approaches the level of CD. It's more like a low bit rate mp3. I don't really find anything all that interesting about their playlist choices on most channels either.

I mostly stick to Stern, but that show is not universally good anymore. I can only take so much whining and intra-office bullshit. Stern and his crew are at their best when they interview weirdos at the fringes of society. Problem is they don't do enough of that anymore.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think the way to go is to get the portable so you can get more use for your monthly subscription. Get a docking station for both Car and office and just move radio around. Reception still spotty as portable but getting better. Portable can also record programs for later listening and take MP3 files.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Look, I've got terrestrial radio. I've got a CD player in my dash. I've got a cord that will hook my MP3 player to my stereo. I've got a cord that will hook my phone, which gets Pandora, to my stereo. I've got four free options for music, and yet I'm still willing to pay you."

Why in the world are you willing to waste money paying for radio?

8. Boom_70

The Oprah channel?

In my case its worth it not to have to listen to Sterling / Waldman when Yankees are away. You can pick up the feed of home team and not hear Sterling / Waldman spew cliches and read ads every 3 words.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I think I'm gonna try this tonight. I'm gonna walk into Ruth Chris steakhouse and tell the waiter I want the best cut of meat, but I only want to pay $15 for it. I mean, after all, they've already purchased the steer and paid for the stove. If they want to throw away my $15, that's on them. But that's what I have to offer and either they take it or I go elsewhere.

Not sure that's how it works.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I was able to listen them recently when my team was in NY. Having not really listened to them before and just hearing some of the stories on here, I never realized how bad they really are.

I had to switch off the XM and go to terrestrial radio and get my local broadcasters (not that they are much better).

11. Boom_70

Just the same - Ruth Chris has not cut special deals with half the patrons to get them in the place for the first time. They also did not low ball their Porterhouses to build a large subscriber base then jack up rates and add commercials.

Let's face it XM/Sirius was a flawed business model from the get go with the investors looking to make a killing on IPO. Subscriptions were cheap with objective to create huge base which hopefully would drive up IPO price. As the saying goes once you leave the barn door open......

Other huge issue is portable reception.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I love Sirius in my car, but it's basically useless in my apartment. I have a boom box player, but I can get the signal about five hours a day.

Sirius is worth it to me because of how much I travel, but that might change if Stern retires in December. Lithium used to be my favorite channel but I get tired of hearing Alice in Chains every seven songs.

Draft saved Draft deleted