1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sirius help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Aug 19, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know this thread has been on here before, but with new technology, what was discussed a few months ago is now old news.

I drive 40 minutes each way, and I have a car stereo that has a speaker line (not a USB port) so I can listen to my MP3 player without any annoying 88.7 on the radio crap.

I want to listen to Howard again coming to work and some other things. I would love the DVR radio thing (replay), but I have no idea how much that would be.

Paying $200 for the Sirius would be a deal breaker for me, but $50 is very doable.

I trust the advice on this board more than I trust a kid at BestBuy.
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fellow Stern Fan,

You can get an entire new Sirius installed in your car with playback for under $100. Just watch the promotions at Best Buy. I think mine was $90 total. I don't use the playback very often, but that's because I have to park in a parking structure where I can't get a signal.
  3. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

It's not Sirius, but I have an XM Xpress RC http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1190676939726&skuId=8567614&type=product that is useless to me now. (I bought a car that has XM factory installed & I don't feel like cluttering up the new dash with this.)

I'd be happy to sell it to a fellow SportsJournalists.commer for far less than what it sells for new. It will store up to 60 minutes of programming for you to replay, previews other channels, color display, etc.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the subscription.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.
  4. 93Devil

Thanks Storm, will that system play Sirius?

How easy would it be for me to install?
  5. 93Devil

Thanks, I have some time to kill this evening and I will hit the local BB.

FYI, Fred Norris is really tall in person. I walked by him in a Barnes and Noble in midtown once.
  6. 93Devil

Oh, how much is the subscription? Is it a flat rate?
  7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Simple to install. You may need to pick up a new bracket somewhere (BestBuy maybe?) since I ripped it out of the old car.

I won't play Sirius channels & I'm pretty sure once they get things sorted out, it still won't be able to handle both. I believe you'll need a whole new radio to receive both.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

No. You want a Sirius receiver, not an XM receiver.

Simple. You need a receiver kit (the Stratus 4 model is fine, comes with the car kit, the ones with playback cost rather more than you're talking about) and a basic 3- or 6-foot patch cord with 3.5mm stereo plugs at each end. One stop at Radio Shack will get you everything you need.
  9. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

I'm a former BB lackey who sold satellite radio when it really hit the market full steam. This was a long, long time ago and back then, Sirius was killing it in sales for us.
    I'm considering getting satellite radio since the stations out here are terrible and few.
  10. Mizzougrad96

$12.95 a month. I don't think you can still get the lifetime subscriptions.
  11. Mizzougrad96

I met Gary at a Mets game about 10 years ago. He was thrilled to talk to someone who actually referred to him as something other than Baba Booey.
  12. 93Devil

It's still one of the best nicknames ever.
Draft saved Draft deleted