1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sir Elton John sings at Limbaugh's fourth wedding

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oggiedoggie, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if both Limbaugh and Elton can take the write off.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Mush's frequent, snide anti-gay asides speak volumes.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

For example?

The guy's had a 3-hour a day, national radio show for 22-years. And his show is mostly a monologue.

If he was truly an anti-gay hate monger, I would think it would be easy to cite examples.

As we saw when Rush was attempting to purchase part of the NFL's Rams, the most often cited quotes were made up out of whole cloth.

For Musto -- or you -- to label him an anti-gay hate monger without citing any proof is shameful and not what journalism is about.

4. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

I agree. Rush has never specifically said “I hate gay people.”

If someone doesn’t specifically say they hate a group of people – despite comments that make it appear so – we shouldn’t assume they do. That would be wrong.

5. YankeeFan

Which comments make it appear to be so?

Please be specific. I'm sure you have plenty to choose from given that he's been on the radio nationally for 22-years and his show is monitored daily by folks like Media matters just looking for something like this.

6. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Recently, here's five quotes.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/homophobia-rush-limbaughs-top-anti-gay-quotes/discrimination/2009/03/05/517

But again, we shouldn't infer from anyone's comments that they hate or are anti- any group of people. That would be wrong.

7. YankeeFan

That's really weak.

Bill Clinton, Harry Reid, Joe Biden, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Jimmy Carter and other prominent Democrats have all said things that were truly, unquestionably racist, or anti-Semitic and the left sees nothing.

In 22 years, you have a couple of examples of Rush making fun of people or doing parody and you want to label him anti-gay.

There's nothing in any of those quotes that shows me he is anti-gay, or a hate monger.

8. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

I agree. We shouldn't take five comments -- or even one comment -- and conclude someone is a bigot or that someone is against an entire group of people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.