1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sioux City Journal devotes entire front page to bullying editorial

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 22, 2012.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

don't you dare minimize the greatness of doodah

2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

One editorial does not make for a good front page. Give me some sidebars, some reaction, anything.

Would I have done it? Nah. It just wasn't my cup of team. It did seem too preachy.

Bullying has been around since the Stone Age. It ain't going anywhere. You either fight back (which in today's zero-tolerance schools, isn't an option anymore) or take it. Or move.

It's awful, but a law or two or three isn't going to solve it. Kids are cruel when they want to be. All of the laws and the caring and handwringing in the world isn't going to change that.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And some people proove the point about respecting others every day.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Clearly you didn't actually read the piece you're presuming to comment on. Where does it say anything about a new law?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The comment is offensive. It also does not back up your earlier point regarding the usage of the "N" word.

Even so, I'm trying to get a sense of where you hear these comments. Do you overhear them from a neighboring table at the corner bar? Are they spoken in the teachers' lounge? Are you attending KKK rallies?

Because, they're not the kinds of comments I hear at all, let alone with any kind of regularity.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I hear them at lunch counters and in conversation on the street here in upstate New York, and I see them regularly on Facebook and in newspaper comments.

We could also discuss Ted Nugent.

Bama: I will say I liked this one better than the all-text Harrisburg one.

But generally, I agree.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I agree. If this runs on the editorial page, it only gets read by people who read the editorial page. Maybe you pick up a few with a good 1A refer, but just a few. Ten years ago I'd have said this is too unusual, keep 1A to news, etc., but now? Take a shot when the shot is really, really good. This must be a bigger story in that town then we realize. And I'm OK with an editorial, not a series or reaction or whatever. And those have probably been done or will be done by that paper.

Also disagree that this is the same bullying a lot of us knew as kids. Was plenty embarrassing to get picked on at the playground or on the bus, with a handful of people watching. But now you can get absolutely annihilated online with no recourse and the whole world (at least in your mind) sees it. I can't fathom how hard that must be to deal with; our parents might have said "forget it" or "it will go away", but how do you say that today with some of the garbage online?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I read a lot of tut-tut-tutting here for what amounts to one front page, once a year, for a paper that's probably not done this before regarding a child's death, and a movie - which chronicles a kid <i>in the town</i> - on the same subject that opened two days before.

Good grief, people. Get over yourselves. Sidebars?

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Agreed. The Journal has done an exceptional job of covering this since it's happened. The sidebars and reaction pieces have already been done.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I presumed the editorial was a culmination of what had preceded it.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The execution is what I'm arguing against, more than anything. It was a bad editorial. It took a stance against a straw man and wrote that stance poorly. Right there, in the first actual paragraph: ""By all accounts, Kenneth Wieshuhn was a kind-hearted, fun-loving teenage boy, always looking to make others smile." I'm sure he loved to laugh, too.

It's thin. It's only as long as it is because they wanted it to be the full page. It's only on the front page because someone had the idea planted from The Patriot-News or the Detroit Free Press or The Arizona Republic or some other paper that I can't recall off the top of my head that did this. It's a gimmick. Maybe that's fine. Maybe that helps sell newspapers.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What 'straw man?'

Draft saved Draft deleted