1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sioux City Journal devotes entire front page to bullying editorial

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 22, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

http://news.yahoo.com/iowa-paper-devotes-front-page-fighting-bullying-175921792.html

Bravo, I say.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It's powerful stuff. It was gutsy decision to do it, and I applaud them.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bullying is too quickly becoming a replacement word for ganging up on gay kids. Call it what it is: homophobia.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

From the subject of this thread, I thought you meant it was an editorial that bullied the readers. Which is exactly what I believe a front-page editorial, on any topic, attempts to do.

I'm not a fan of this type of thing, no matter how well-intentioned. The message it sends is that nothing in the world that day is more important than the newspaper's opinion. We do our job by delivering the awful facts, not by scolding the readers with rather facile conclusions.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A large portion of this country cannot even mention the President without tagging a slur into the phrase. Why should we think a teenager, who is very different, will be treated with any respect what so ever?

Seriously, folks, this country has been going straight into the shitter.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I agree with this. Yes, bullying is a seemingly big deal, but it's been around for decades.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bullying was good in the beginning, but now it's gone too far.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If only people would treat this president with the uninhibited respect they showed for each of his predecessors, then no kids anywhere would ever get picked on.

9. 93Devil

If people call the president a *igger, which I have heard many times, there isn't much stopping them from calling this kid a *aggot.

If you don't see that happening in America today, then my America is different than yours.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Your America often seems to have inferior educational materials to mine, so I'm cool with that.

11. 93Devil

Come down south, and Virginia is not even that south.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I give you credit, you posted this same honorable notion in 2006. I admire you for your consistency.

Wait, where's that blue font?

Draft saved Draft deleted