1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sins of journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Aug 5, 2008.

?

What is the worst ethical breach a journalist can commit?

1. Taking money or other personal gains from a source

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. Plagiarizing a story from another journalist

29 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. Fabricating a story (making up facts, quotes)

82 vote(s)
    65.6%
  4. Tilting coverage intentionally through bias

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Targeting the subject of a story for personal reasons

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. Forcing someone into a role they hate, hoping they'll quit (without severance)

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. Laying off someone you hired within last 6 mos.

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. Some other transgression

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Yeah, I understand what your saying Buck. That's why laying off someone is hard to categorize because it many cases a despicable where like you say, the hiring editor isn't at fault. It wasn't premeditated like the others were but the results are just bad.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I had a tough time picking between fabricating and plagiarism. On the whole, my guess is the general public doesn't care about plagiarism where just flat out making something up they do.

I ended up going with plagiarism because in a sense you are fabricating a story and stealing on top of it.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Some other transgression:

Doing a bad impersonation of the Queen of the May on Sports Reporters, each and every week.

4. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Torn between plagiarizing and fabricating. On one hand, it's really effed up to steal someone else's work, but it's even worse to quote people who never said something, and make up statistics. That's just awful.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One thing that makes fabricating a worse sin is that it's so easy to do and hard to catch.

So you don't want people who are tempted to quote made-up Mary Smith of Podunk whenever they are supposed to get reaction.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

How hosed would someone be to plagiarize a fabricated story? ;)

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I voted fabrication. If I could have picked two, my second would be plagiarism.

I had a message board for an online RPG I was playing. I considered plagiarism the cardinal sin of the board. If you stole someone else's ideas, you were gone. Plain and simple.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Is your source credible on that?"

I also chose fabrication. Some readers may not understand why plagiarizing something is bad when they see the same AP story in two papers. But they do know that making things up is bad.

9. Dollar Theater

Dollar Theater New Member

Agree with you there. While plagiarizing is certainly bad, making things up about someone or something, I feel, is worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted