1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sink the Pink, or A funny thing happened while picking up Pop Warner uniforms...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 26, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The age is a big factor. The Bret Hart thing is a good idea, but I can still see it being tough to convince a boy of that age that pink uniforms are ok.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The coach ought to take the team to Hooters and show
    them what they are helping to preserve.
    Pink uniforms will not be an issue thereafter.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, the parents' reaction is one thing... We can get over ourselves, although that's easy for me to say since my kid is on the Red Team... :D

But seeing how deflated these kids were was pretty tough to watch. This is a great league and this is a huge time commitment for kids of this age and to see them get deflated for any reason for something this stupid is pretty lame...

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

once a month they get to wear red pants

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There was also an inherent negative connotation to making the Iowa visitor's locker room pink. That's not the case here. This is a case of a bunch of 9-year-old boys who still identify pink as a girls' color and don't want to be teased about it.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree that it's pretty stupid to outfit these kids in pink uniforms for all of the games. My nephew's grandmother had breast cancer, and he LOVES to wear the pink cleats, gloves, socks and wristbands to promote the breast cancer awareness for a game or two, but asking the kids to wear it for the whole season? That's just dumb. They will surely have to come to some sort of compromise. I'd be pissed too at that age.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Only if the team can rename themselves the Montreal Screwjob.

8. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

The locker room at Iowa was painted pink because then-coach Hayden Fry had recalled from his college days that pink supposedly had a calming effect on people.

http://collegefootball.about.com/od/traditions/a/trad-iowapink.htm

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinnick_Stadium) also has this:

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Que?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read something where they listed the coolest traditions in college football and included in the group were the pink locker rooms at Iowa.

Draft saved Draft deleted