1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singular team names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Jul 11, 2007.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

So AP actually encourages the style "Metallica are playing a show in Phoenix," rather than "Metallica is playing a show in Phoenix." Interesting.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Actually, that IS interesting, and I wonder how often they follow that with regard to band names.

Oddly, as the guy who defends "Heat are," I don't think "Metallica are" seems right at all.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

You're not going to write Miami 27 times in a story when referring to the Heat. In my particular case, there is no city name. It's just a stupid travel softball team that was trying to be too cute when it named itself.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I say go singular for team names that aren't plural and for band names.

The team is, the band is, etc.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Everybody: Quit calling it a SINGULAR PLURAL! It either is singular or it is plural. Period. It doesn't have to end in "s" to be plural. Thank you.

6. gospringboks

gospringboks Member

Simple answer: Different papers have different style.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Creeping Euro-Britization.

You wanna speak British, go to Britain. In America, we speak American.

8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Online AP Stylebook for sports:

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:ueU1G8kRuPwJ:fredericksburg.com/FreeLanceStarCompany/Newsrooms/newsroom/APStyle/APtxt/Sprtguid.htm+AP+stylebook+team+nickname+plural&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I agree with all those that have said to treat it as a plural noun -- the Heat are

However I'm surprised nobody's said the wise-ass obvious answer yet "ask your sports editor what your paper's style is and if you are the SE, set the style yourself"

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It should be "are". In too many U.S. publications, it's "is."
    I've been fighting this battle for years.
    Still losing.

11. sportsed

sportsed Member

Uh, there are words that are both singular and plural.

Quoting from the AP Stylebook again, this time under plurals ...

WORDS THE SAME IN SINGULAR AND PLURAL: corps, chassis, deer, moose, sheep, etc.
    The sense in a particular sentence is conveyed by the use of a singular or plural verb.

You're welcome.

12. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

This is now the greatest day of my life. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Draft saved Draft deleted