1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singular team names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Yeah, I know we've gone over this, but it never applied to me before.

So is it: The Heat are playing the Bulls ... OR ... The Heat is playing the Bulls

My actual sentence is in regards to a local softball team.

2. Clever username

Works for me. It reads better that way, anyway.

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

Went to the ACES convention in Miami in April. Asked the Washington Post's chief copy editor this question myself. He said...

The Heat is....
    The Jazz is....

I go with that.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

I understand that. Maybe because both my parents are English teachers I prefer what the Wash. Post guy said. I don't like it when people on TV say "The Heat are...." I think it sounds weird. But, I can see where people would think "The Heat is..." is weird, too. Is there any way to find out if there is a definitive hard-and-fast rule to for this?

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The WaPo copy chief is wrong. But if a paper wants to create its own style, that's their/its prerogitive.

The AP stylebook says it's Heat are, Jazz are, etc., etc. It's ARE for any team.

6. Clever username

Where does it say that -- what entry -- Idaho? I'm not being a smartass, I've just never seen it. Of course, I wouldn't have asked if I had.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Every paper I've ever worked for has used singular verbs for the ``non-s'' teams such as the Heat, Jazz and Galaxy. That, and the fact that is has always sounded correct to me, means I'm going with ``Heat is ...''

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

I understand both sides of the argument, but I agree with da man. I know English rules are sometimes bent a little in journalism, but this is one I don't think should be messed with.

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I've been torn on that one myself, but I seem to remember being taught to use singular verbs with singular team names before. I guess I liken them the same to referring to the city as in "Boston is," but I can see a number of situations where it does read well as a plural.

I'm going to go to my various style books tonight and see what rules some places have.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Just because I'm nit picky: "in regard to"

11. Clever username

How interesting that I would make that mistake. It really irritates me when people write or say towards.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Totally agree. I've never seen it written as "Heat is ..." Until this thread, that is.

Draft saved Draft deleted