1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singulair side effects allegedly include ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 28, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

... suicidal thinking, suicidal behavior and suicide.

Good to know. Nice of Merck to put it on the label.

(Singulair is an allergy and asthma drug.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080327/ap_on_bi_ge/merck_drug_suicide_link_8

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Well, shit, I used to take that. Guess I'd think twice before taking it again.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I took Accutane years ago, and at the time I was completely miserable, not because of the medicine, but because of the reason I had to take it. Ultimately, it worked wonders for me, though.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't know what became of the Accutane controversy, but it seemed to me at the time that the suicidal thoughts/behavior likely had more to do with the reasons the medicine was administered in the first place. I basically went a year of my life without going out in public. That medicine was a Godsend.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

holy shit I think my wife takes that. And I think I took it too last year.

Christ.

6. lono

lono Active Member

Suicide beats anal leakage any day. :eek:

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's not what she says!

She just weeps softly.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

What about testicular torsion?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Has also been known to cause suicidal thoughts.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

My sister took Accutane and I can attest to the suicidal thoughts. And no, it didn't have anything to do with how she looked before, during or after using it. She was a high school basketball star, softball player, lots of friends — all of whom didn't care about the acne.

My sister just wanted it cleared up because it wasn't going away on its own. And lets face it, she still wanted to look better.

It turned out to be an awful time for her. All while she was on it. I was the one who read and heard about the suicide thing first. Told my parents. And my sister. She dropped it like a bad habit. Thank goodness. She was a completely different person on it.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never heard that one with Acccutane. Only problem I had when I used it was the occasional bloody nose. Worked for me, too. I was left wondering why I hadn't done it sooner.

Draft saved Draft deleted