1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singleton strikes again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buckweaver, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Given the Singleton way, will the paper be around long enough for the city to recoup its investment in the form of compensatory ads?

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Singleton's "negotiators" have been working with the city of Torrance for the past couple of years to keep the Breeze office in Torrance. The city apparently feels it is important to have the paper based there.
    There are places in the Breeze circulation area where office space is much cheaper than Torrance, such as Carson, Gardena, Lomita or Hawthorne.
    But, Torrance is the same city that has ordinances regulating the appearance of the property, i.e.: In the mid-90s (to be honest, before Singleton), the Breeze was laying off people at the same time they were landscaping the parking lot. Questioned about that, paper management uttered the familiar, "different budget" and "city requires it."

3. Hellboy

Hellboy Guest

Being angry doesn't accomplish much. If we focus on how to turn the corner, make things better for ourselves, that's when we win the battle. We also can brainstorm a strategy to screw the man back, that is, if that makes you feel better.

But being angry doesn't accomplish much.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Deadline is tomorrow for Singleton to get $20 million in cuts/concessions from the unions at the Denver Post and the Denver Newspaper Agency.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

In probably not-unrelated news, it's also the deadline for bids on the Rocky.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Long Beach union says it got a no-layoffs promise from Singleton:

http://lbguild9400.blogspot.com/2009/01/at-last.html

Of course, with the entire copy desk moved first to Torrance and now to West Covina, how many workers will this really protect? The few writers who remain? The already decimated photo staff?

If I'm union staff, I tell everyone to start looking for a job now, before Singleton lawyers find the loopholes.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And when the Rocky gets no bids, Singleton lets it fall then crushes the Post for whatever he deems worthy to line the pockets of both his board and himself.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I'm sure you can take that one straight to the bank. ::) ::)

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

OK, this is a bit off-topic, but did anyone (those of you who see ads on here, like I do) notice the L.A. Times ad on the right-hand side of this page?...

Being on the Singleton thread makes it ironically well-placed, in terms of competition, but...

The art in the ad is of the Calendar, California and A-1 sections. I don't know about anybody else, but if I were placing this ad on a site called SportsJournalists.com, I think I'd make sure there was art of the Sports section. Maybe that'd be just too easy and obvious, though. Who knows why that wasn't done.

As it is, though, it would seem to be a classic and glaring example of how newspapers are not getting all they can, advertising-wise, out of the internet, even when they have a prime, easy opportunity to try.

Maybe it's no surprise, but this is such an obvious flaw, and so easily change-/correctable.

Isn't it?

I just thought I'd mention this...for whomever might be interested in any suggestions.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Should have used a picture of Carroll acting as if Sanchez has cooties when he shakes his hand at the see-ya news conference.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd check the fine print on that deal before popping corks.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He's consolidating everywhere. He's under debt to the tune of $1 billion. And eventually, some major stuff is going to happen in Denver. The fact he wants the unions to renegotiate contracts and trim $20 million says that. I would not be surprised to see a bankruptcy filing.

Draft saved Draft deleted