1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singleton strikes again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buckweaver, Jan 2, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

MediaNews renegotiates loan terms and will now pay only interest on what it owes.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/medianews-reaches-deal-to-defer-debt-payments/?scp=1&sq=medianews&st=cse

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody think economic conditions will ever improve enough for the furloughs, and no paid vacation to go away or for the 401k contributions to return? Honestly? If the company gets to determine it, why should they ever bring paid vacations back?

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'd be worried about the possibility of a bigger picture issue regarding the vacation time.

Companies are not required by law to provide paid vacation time. But in some states, the law says that if they do give it they are required to pay out any unpaid vacation time when the company and the employee part ways. So any unused employee vacation time is a financial liability to a company.

I'm sure that's how the bean counters are looking at this latest move, instead of just looking for ways to fuck people over. But I wonder why Singleton is decreasing this particular liability en masse.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Indeed. It's part of a pay package, and therefore they're required to pay it out, the same as they'd be required to pay you for any time you worked before you left.

They're not required to give it, just like they're not required to give you any particular salary above minimum wage. But they can't just yank it back, just like they can't retroactively lower your pay rate when you quit.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

True. But one reason I can think of is that an employee would be more apt to follow a company's rules on vacation time if they are actually getting paid for it. Otherwise, the company wouldn't be able to limit the amount of time someone could take off, unless they chose to threaten a firing. Granted, the employee wouldn't be making any money.

Draft saved Draft deleted