1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singleton Empire on brink of collapse?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Apr 6, 2008.

1. lono

lono Active Member

If his cash flow can't even meet his debt obligations, he won't be going public. No one will touch that.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think talk of Singleton's demise is spurred by talk of JRC's possible bankruptcy. Though both are heavily in debt, I almost think Singleton's situation might be better because he has more cash flow coming in. Banks these days would probably rather have 70 percent of something instead of 100 percent of nothing. What can his creditors do? Run the papers themselves? Write off the debt and sell the papers to a private equity firm? Who are they going to find to operate the papers and keep money coming in besides Singleton?

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

If this is the case, then Singleton keeps gutting his newspapers and keeps operating them for the sole purpose of paying off his loans. There is no concern for quality or journalistic intergrity. It is just a means to an end to get out of debt. Staffs will continue to get smaller, editions will continue to get smaller, deadlines will continue to get earlier and subscribers and readers will continue to look for other sources of information.

4. lono

lono Active Member

What his creditors can do depends on the terms of his obligations. They might be able to replace him and take over operation themselves. All depends on how the agreements are structured.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Tucson.... that is, by far, the best avatar and text I have seen on these boards.

Well done.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I was laid off in 1995 and my family and friends, in my presence, damned the paper and said they would never buy it again.
    I said, thanks for the sentiment, but I still have a lot of friends who work there and they don't deserve to be punished by what happened to me.
    In other words, I totally agree with the above ... on both counts. JFinch, spectacular.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

on a positive note, maybe cnhi will make singleton an offer he can't refuse.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If his creditors are banks, they will not do this because they open themselves to lender liability.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed outloud at that. I had a mouthful of water at the time...

10. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

The first crack? Maybe, according to former LANG columnist Paul Oberjuerge, who reports rumblings that chain's flagship LA Daily News may go to Hearst.

http://www.oberjuerge.com/?p=123

11. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Not sure "flagship" still qualifies, but they could do worse than Hearst.
    What about Denver? Merge in with the Rocky?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Singleton and Hearst have done deals before. Hearst helped Singleton with the Pioneer Press and Northern California deals.

As for the second part, that's not in the cards.

Draft saved Draft deleted