1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singleton: copy editors may be cheaper in India

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Billy Monday, Oct 21, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ANd yet, he's totally serious...
    He's going to go too far one day and wonder what the hell happened when it backfires

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I like that imagery.

And of course, the difference between frogs and lobsters is that, with frogs, none of them is clawing you back into the pot with them. Only the smartest ones leap far and quickly away.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm ready to wake up from this bad dream now.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I think once newspapers are all dead we should all become consultants to advise these foofs on how to run their businesses. I always love how newspaper execs are fond of calling in "consultants" who have never worked a day in a newsroom to tell them the best way to run a newspaper. And they have no problem shelling out thousands and thousands of dollars to these people but won't budge a penny when it comes to salary negotiations for their own people. Ugh.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, I wish that day would hurry up and come. Can't be sure about this, these days, of course, but maybe we'd all better off. Finally.

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

He tried consolidation with his SoCal papers ... and then had to revert because it didn't work. And in the meantime, he's turned the papers into shoppers. The guy has been destroying newspapers and journalism for 30 years. He has no clue.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Same in NoCal. San Fran used to be such a great newspaper city and now it's shit.

8. harbinger

harbinger Member

1. Macpherson can't really believe that all they're missing is the "nuance of a sneer." If there are no reporters on site to ask questions, then there is no depth to the reporting beyond what politicians provide, and no attempt to break stories of political corruption. In other words, a complete abandonment of the watchdog role of newspapers. Is that what he is advocating?

2. It sounds smart in theory for Reuters to outsource what amounts to press releases, but I don't buy that it frees up the staff to do more important things. It frees up Reuters to eliminate reporters.

3. The Reuters spokesman's greater value list excludes breaking news. I guess that doesn't happen anymore.

9. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I can envision a reporter in India watching the Webcast of the city council meeting only for the feed to mysteriously go on the fritz. Are these managers naive enough to think that office holders won't try bullshit like that? Let's just publish the fucking press releases verbatim while we're at it and quick dicking around with this reporting shit.

Abandon ship.

Edit: Jeez, you'd think I'd have sense to not drop the -ly. </crossthread>

10. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Haven't heard it expressed better, anywhere. Well done.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

At least tech support would be a local call.

12. that was actually kind of funny

Draft saved Draft deleted