1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singleton at the plate at LADN ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoCalDude, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The way I hear it, the papers in the region have deals with the carriers that offer enough flexibility to offer readers numerous options.

For example, one couple I know takes RMN Monday-Saturday and the Post on Sunday.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, since there's no RMN on Sundays, yes, you get the Post on Sundays. And if you take the Post during the week, you get the Rocky on Saturdays because there's no Post that day.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Here's a take from one person who knows what they're talking about, sent to me via PM:

Basically, Modesti was reassigned because there hasn't really been a LANG for him to manage in the last 6 months. They hired him to manage the chain, then changed their mind about running it like a chain a few months later. Basically, it's 3 clusters now. The DN, Long Beach and Torrance, and the Inland papers. The DN supplies about 90 percent of the shared coverage. The other papers pretty much do local sports and use copy produced by the DN writers.

The higher ups still like Modesti, so they wanted to find a way to keep him around so they moved him to Metro. He's a really smart guy and seems to be looking forward to this challenge. My understanding is he will be a very high profile voice in the Metro coverage.

Gene Warnick and ASE Rich Hammond will take over Kevin's responsibilities. It should be a fairly smooth transition, since that's what he did for like a year before Kevin was brought in.

Losing Gerry Gittelson is a big loss too. The last staffer who was covering preps. The rest of the prep coverage is done by freelancers. Though perhaps the local sports editor will be writing more now.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Dean Singleton seems like a real life Gordon Gekko.

5. MileHigh

This line pretty much sums up LANG the past 10 years.

They hired him to manage the chain, then changed their mind about running it like a chain a few months later.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I think "hiring him to manage the chain" is a little bit confusing. He has worked at LADN forever and was one of their main columnists. I believe they "shifted him to manage the chain." Regardless, still sucks.

8. MileHigh

It was a new position, is my recollection.

9. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

One of the problems was that the outlying papers didn't want someone sitting in Woodland Hills to tell them what to do. Even the top executives disagreed from the get-go about what the approach should be....

Draft saved Draft deleted