1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singles: Do you decorate for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Dec 7, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...I usually only work 40 hours a week these days, so I'm actually at home and awake sometimes.

2. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Seeing as I have all the personality of Ebeneezer Scrooge (prior to his going to bed Christmas Eve) this time of year...no.

I write Christmas cards to old friends. I buy gifts for family and a close friend or two.

But decorate to be the only one to see it most of the time...? Uh...No.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Top work by you, sir.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

I'm now down 30 bucks after buying a three-foot-tall Christmas tree at Wally World.

I hold you responsible, irish.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm going to put my tree up tomorrow. I've just now decided. Yay!

I also have to go buy wrapping paper, bows and boxes (to mail gifts) plus cards. I have the stamps.

6. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Considering I haven't unpacked half my stuff from my move in January and the fact that I don't have a single thing on my walls, I don't foresee any sort of decorating.

I can't imagine ever doing any sort of decorating.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

I apologize in advance for sounding like a Scrooge, but I'm most definitely in the "why bother?" crowd.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wally World?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

i'm glad this was brought up, because I've been really struggling with it these days.

Technically, I'm not single, but I probably will be by Christmas. It reminds me of what I once heard a stand-up guy say: Asked my wife what she wanted for Christmas. She told me a divorce. I told her I wasn't planning on spending that much.

But I digress.

I'm kind of torn in what to do. It's going to be weird waking up on Christmas morning by myself. Honestly, it may be the first time I've ever woke up as the only person in the house.

Will the trees and the lights (because it is a special time) take my thoughts somewhere else, or will it remind me of the last near-decade? Will a house void of any decorations just make the void seem that much larger?

It's just me and the our furry babies now. They're big ass dogs and they seemed to have liked the trees in the past. Maybe I'll do it for them.

But i do like the idea of Christmas. I've always seemed to have worked right through the holidays, and that won't change this year, I'm afraid.

I guess what I'm saying is I haven't yet, but still thinking about it. And sorry if I threadjacked.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've always decorated. I'm in the camp that likes the decorations. I love Christmas lights and even if I am not entertaining anyone -- though I generally try to gather everyone up for a dinner -- I like to look at the decorations.

Plus, it reminds me of home, somewhere that is a long, long way away from me.

Oh, and dreunc, I agree with the weather thing, but that is why I decorate. While it doesn't feel like Christmas outside, it looks like Christmas in my apartment, which is nice.

11. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I live by myself, and I've got my deck lit by a string of lights, several knick knacks, a seven-foot tall fake tree (this year's Xmas present to myself) with decorations.

Like Angola, I love to look at Christmas lights, and it reminds me of home. If I can't be at home for most of the season, I can at least make my place as close as possible.

Perhaps it's my upbringing. We decorated the shit out of the house when I was a kid, both when my parents were together and after they divorced. I can vividly remember numerous crappy dust-catching knick knacks and little kid ornaments. It was always a holiday I loved, and even though I can't get a real tree at my place (I'm allergic), I can at least fake it.

The one family tradition I have kept up is buying a yearly ornament. Starting in 1979 (which may have been when they my parents married, I really don't know), my family has bought a tree ornament with the year somewhere in the design. When I get to go home for the holidays, even just for a few days, my mom, sister and I still go to Hallmark and pick out that year's ornament. I've started that with my own tree.

Looking back at those ornaments when we're decorating is always a trip. You've got my sister's baby ornament and mine. You've got glass ornaments until I was born, satin ball ornaments until I hit about five, then kitchy ornaments for a while when we were kids. But each one means something. I love that.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You still have the house! SCOREBOARD!

Draft saved Draft deleted