1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singles: Do you decorate for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

A long time ago when I still felt the Christmas spirit -- which would be before my dad passed -- I would decorate my place.

I have a huge box of decorations that haven't been taken out for 13 years. It's been packed and repacked with every move of abode I've made. It's followed me from Newfoundland to B.C. to Alberta.

I have dragged it out of storage for this year, trying to muster the interest in decorating.

I never really spend a lot of time at home over the holidays. It used to be that I'd be off to Nova Scotia to spend it with family, but I don't do that anymore either. I'll be spending the big day, at least, at home with my dog, doing nothing. It will be just another day (and that's the way I want it).

And people don't spend time here, because it's a small apartment and I can't really be a hostess of a big party. I don't like cleaning up after people who don't live with me anyway.

I'll go to a couple of parties and my gift to the host is usually a decoration of some sort, so what little spirit I have is shared.

So, do you decorate?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I used to put up my tree, but that was about it. I haven't even done that in several years. I MIGHT do it Tuesday. If I don't do it by then, I won't do it at all.

I could get motivated to put it up, but it would likely be June before I'd take it down. :(

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I might buy a small tree, but I'm not going to do a lot at all.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I have changed my previously posted stance about Christmas, but I do not decorate.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That, Flash, is exactly what I told my parents when they bought me a wreath. I said, "Why did you get me this?" And they didn't understand.

What's the point of decorating an empty apartment? It's just more work.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

I suppose the joy of the season is in sharing and being around your peeps. Since I don't host, I figure what's the point?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Nope, don't decorate for anything really. Not my thing.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Exactly. I see no point in spending time and money on decorations no one will ever see. I like Festivus, Christmas and New Years just as much as anyone, but I like my free time a whole lot more.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I haven't in the past, and I probably won't this year, since I'm in the middle of another move (groan). But next year, provided I have a more stable schedule -- that's the key, most of us don't have those -- I'll be doing it up, mainly as Flash said, for the company factor. Life's too short not to enjoy it a bit.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I have some electric candles that I put up in my windows. Holidays being about light and all. Beyond that, nothing other than the occasional spins of Christmas albums by Wynton Marsalis, Vince Guaraldi and Dr. Demento.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Stick a bow on an empty whiskey bottle and call it good.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

I have a collection of wine bottles. Maybe I should string lights around them.

Draft saved Draft deleted