1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SINGLE-ISH, but not necessarily now: What's your dealmaker

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Jun 20, 2008.

1. yeah, but is s/he cute?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh my goodness yes ;)

3. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Very timely topic. Sense of humor is one of many factors. Case in point - At dinner last night with about 10 friends. We're sitting in this big, round booth, and I end up meeting this stunning blonde from LA. We talk, have a good time. End of the night, we're all getting ready to leave and she reaches down under the table, fidgeting to get her wallet from her purse. Being a gentleman, I move to my right a little to give her room to search through her cavernous purse, but in my typical obnoxious nature, I then say, "We just met. Getting kinda handsy there, don't you think?"

She laughed. Very hard.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a big one for me. The last girl I dated -- my favorite -- spoke for hours every night in college. We saw the sun come up easily about 20 times in the month before we started dating. From the first week, I knew she'd help me forget about what a horrible time I had with my last girlfriend, and she'd be a big part of my future -- for good or bad, I'll probably never be sure.

The infectious smile and laugh, the way she pushed (pushes) me to always do better and be better was such a turn-on for me, and I don't mean that sexually, either. I was intrigued by her mind. She was so much like me. And she wasn't. I loved how she curled up in my arms when she was cold or when she was bored or just because.

The sense of humor was -- and has always been -- there. I've never had to explain a joke or apologize for a missed quip because she always just got me. When I'd say something in class, she'd say, "I knew you were going to say that. Like word for word." She knew me more than I knew myself.

We talked sitcoms, music, movies and people until both of us knew each other inside and out. And we never got tired of it. Even when she broke up with me (twice), we'd partner up in class, for homework, for projects, all just to be with the other person. We were each other best friend, and at times, our only friend. And that was fine. Because there was no other person in the room, at least not to us. No one else mattered more.

I'll never get over this girl, and I like it better that way.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A girl who can hold her liquor.

A quiet, justifiable arrogance.

An abiding respect for your passions and interests, and a willingness to feed them further.

Someone who will (happily) listen to either your mother or drunken friend babble about some of the dullest shit imaginable.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've been thinking about this, and I think my answer is simple: Someone that isn't afraid of me. That means isn't intimidated by me or my job, isn't afraid to challenge me or tell me when I'm wrong; someone who, when I say "I've got issues" says "So? I do, too. But I'm still here."

7. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I learned take my job wholly out of the equation as a "deal breaker." When I was using it as such for a few years, I figured out I was a big part of the problem when it came to dating.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

AB, that might have been my favorite story from the whole weekend. Gives kids like me hope. ;)

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

As you might have noticed, however, we did not in fact name our dog Trogdor. It just didn't suit him.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Then you're living a lie.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Maybe you should have named him Dogtror? Better fit?

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That dog was afraid of his own shadow when we got him from the pound. He was no Trogdor (or dogtror). His name in the pound was actually Thor. That seemed like a lot to live up to.

Draft saved Draft deleted