1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sinclair buys Tribune Media for $3.9 billion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BTExpress, May 8, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it is two things. One is seeing one broadcaster able to compel dozens of local stations to use their lead anchors to read the same copy word for word - many of these anchors having much longer history than the current ownership. The second is using the public airwaves to do it.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not really a question of how the statement strikes viewers.

It's a journalism question for the people made to read it.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Finally"?

Again, I don't know what people expect the Sinclair employees to do. Most are under contract. Not everyone is in a position to quit their job, write their employer a check for $10,000 or more, and not get another job in their field for six months.

More than one anchor at my friend's station refused to do the promo. I will bet you they're fired soon, and Sinclair will try to hold them to the non-compete.

A station in Wisconsin refused to do it. I tip my cap. Everyone in management there is about to get fired.

The guy in this story is a morning producer for Sinclair in Nebraska. Good for him for quitting, but he wasn't under contract -- he can go get a job at Starbucks that will pay better and have better hours.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

We've all printed or said something we didn't believe in or that might not jive in J school because the boss said so......life's not a movie where you can give a big speech and storm out the door. Not sure what people want from the rank and file here

Bronco77 likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes. "Finally."

A story about someone quitting over this.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think everyone has a moment when all the "idealism" of journalism gives way to the real world. You start making "deals" with yourself, justifying going along with doing stories on advertisers for the chance to do those stories that "matter."
    It isn't a coincidence that most awards for journalism ethics are given to people that have lost their jobs. And you can't buy groceries with a plaque.

Bronco77 and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fox is buying seven stations from Sinclair if/when this deal goes through: Seattle (KCPQ-TV), Miami (WSFL), Denver (KDVR), Cleveland (WJW), San Diego (KSWB), Sacramento (KTXL), and Salt Lake City (KSTU).

Will be interesting to see what happens to KWGN in Denver which is a duopoly with KDVR and produces its own newscasts but the stations share reporters and a newsroom.

Fox to Buy Seven TV Stations From Sinclair, Tribune Media for $910 Million

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would think the leading contenders for Channel Two would be Scripps (Channel Seven) or CBS (Channel Four) since I think Channel Nine already has a duopoly.

Draft saved Draft deleted