1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sinclair buys Tribune Media for $3.9 billion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BTExpress, May 8, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A lot of the people who had to make those announcements are the same people who leaked it out to various people within the industry. (I also figure there had to be some "inside help" to get all of those announcements to Deadspin. I guess what is jarring is how convincingly sincere so many of the anchors were in reading the script. But I guess that is the gift.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
    Who comes on at five
    She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
    It's interesting when people die
    Give us dirty laundry

3. DanOregon

This is almost a year old, but it's a good compendium of various stories, incidents and backgrounds on why people are troubled by Sinclair's reach. It isn't just the video.
    And what people need to understand is that even with deregulation, these station's are using the public's airwaves unlike cable.
    A short history of the right-wing politics of Sinclair Broadcasting

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Actually, I think of this:

[​IMG]

(Ironically, available on Amazon.)

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Damn straight it's a gift. :)

6. exmediahack

I don't think future stations outside of Sinclair will hold this against a Sinclair employee. We all get it.

Four years ago, many worked for decent companies like Belo, Albritton, Fisher, Media General. Now they work for Sinclair or Nexstar.

Unions in small markets are nearly impossible to make work. They're set up to be "get in/get out" in two years as a reporter, maybe pay the anchor a little more to stick around. They're training markets that don't pay much.

We all have these contracts that are pro-station and I had to fight and negotiate my way to something where I didn't feel like I lost when I signed it (that's where it gets demoralizing -- you get a promotion, read the new company's contract and feel like you're actually in a worse spot). I've had one that gave me ideal protection.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Game on, dummy ...

Sinclair Chairman Claims Entire Print Media Has ‘No Credibility’

David Smith, the executive chairman of Sinclair Broadcast Group, said he dislikes and fundamentally distrusts the print media, which he believes “serves no real purpose.” In emails to New York, Smith said that print — as in newspapers and magazines — is a reality-distorting tool of leftists. Print media, he said, has “no credibility” and no relevance.

“I must tell that in all the 45 plus years I have been in the media business I have never seen a single article about us that is reflective of reality especially in today’s world with the shameful political environment and generally complete lack of integrity. Facts and truth have been lost for a long time and likely to never return,” Smith said.

“The print media is so left wing as to be meaningless dribble which accounts for why the industry is and will fade away. Just no credibility.”

Also, you meant to say drivel. Newspapers check their words.

[​IMG]

8. exmediahack

These words from him as he and his team work to serve bottom feeders in 80% of their markets -- with newscasts that typically pull in less than 10% of the audience share. They survive on volume. The #1 station in a mid-market may charge $600 for a :30 spot in the major newscasts while a third-place Sinclair shop charges $90. And they survive... more local businesses can afford the $90 for a :30 spot.

They talk about non-biased reporting. This is somewhat new. Most of the Sinclairs just tried to be provocative for years to get an audience. That didn't work. Once they get a friend in the White House (also one to push through the horrific merger with Tribune) now they're all about fair and balanced news.

I'll do my part.

By kicking their ass in the ratings every single day. Which we do.

9. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

The station in this market that Sinclair will own is #3 overall, but gaining on the others and is #1 in a couple of time slots. It seems to be a good bunch of people and it is the station I watch for news. It'll be interesting to see the reaction of some of the long-time anchors there when they have to read the crap coming from HQ. And whether or not I change stations.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

The guy was arrested in a company car and used company resources to satisfy his sentencing.
    Not Necessarily the News

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I finally saw this promo ad on my local Sinclair station and I shrugged. I don’t know why I am supposed to care and why, if I do, I can’t change the channel.

Joe Williams likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted