1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sinclair buys Tribune Media for $3.9 billion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BTExpress, May 8, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe I watch too many antique shows, but does anyone else think of this every time this company is mentioned?

upload_2018-4-2_9-2-51.png

garrow, Old Time Hockey, Liut and 3 others like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Mortgages notwithstanding, the ethical imperatives seem pretty clear.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Of course. But "mortgages notwithstanding" is impossible to overlook here.

Most will have language built into their contract requiring them to pay thousands of dollars to Sinclair if they quit. They will also be unable to work in the business in the immediate future.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They shouldn't have refused, but just make a disclaimer before they read the script:

"Our employer, Sinclair, has instructed us to read this statement ... "

They're not being insubordinate, and if anything, they're telling the truth. If the Sinclair suits feel that strongly about their statement, then they should have no problem owning up to them making their employees read it.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course.

There's always tension between money and ethics. I'm not sure you have to quit.

But I'm still waiting to hear if even one Sinclair employee simply refused to read it.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Every time.

7. PCLoadLetter

I know two people at my friend's station refused to read it, despite great pressure from management.

I suspect their days are numbered.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'd hate for them to be fired outright, but they did the right thing.

Whether firing nullifies the non-compete portion of their contracts I don't know. And depending on the language in those contracts, they might have a reasonable counter-suit.

But I don't think you can read that statement and keep your professional standing intact.

9. PCLoadLetter

The likely outcome is they are fired, Sinclair enforces the non-compete and if they try to get a job in another market Sinclair threatens a lawsuit against the new employer.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Those are some egregious contracts.

11. PCLoadLetter

They're terrible. And in many of these cases -- probably a great majority -- these people were already working for the station when Sinclair bought it, so it was a choice of signing the contract or walking away from the job.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted