1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sinclair buys Tribune Media for $3.9 billion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BTExpress, May 8, 2017.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Those of us working at Tribune stations have been in the dark on all of this, but the consensus is this will get done.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The most dangerous US company you've never heard of.

And, the CEO is a pervert!

[​IMG]

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A nearby market has three-quarters of it's newscasts produced by Sinclair. An O and O, a shared service agreement station and they produce the nightly newscast for the local Fox affiliate.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If you're referencing Eugene, it's a damn shame what has happened in that market since Fisher sold their stations to Sinclair. CBS, NBC and the FOX. The ABC does stellar work but with a Sinclair influence like this, it drives the entire market down on pay and coverage.

6. DanOregon

That's the one. Losing Fisher and Belo in the Northwest really hammered local broadcasting.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fingers crossed in the 5,280 that the right thing happens but with each passing day -- and as we enter a new quarter -- I'm left wondering.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I started out in Eugene. I worked at the NBC affiliate for a year and then ABC for four years before moving on. Both were independently owned at the time. It's incredibly sad to see what's happened since.

A good friend -- probably as close as I had to a mentor in the business -- is at the CBS station there, now owned by Sinclair. He's in a position where this stuff doesn't affect him directly, but he's pretty sick over seeing what's happening to the people who are more immediately in the line of fire. It sounds like they've resisted a lot of the Sinclair mandates so far but this isn't a winnable fight. Sooner or later everyone's getting fired.

For the last two days I've seen a ton of "How do they look themselves in the eye?!?" posts on social media. "They should refuse!!" Throwing away a career is apparently a really easy thing to do when it's not your own career we're talking about. I've thought repeatedly about what I would do if Sinclair bought my station. I'd be out of here as soon as I could, but I've got a wife, two kids and a mortgage. The dramatic stand for ethics isn't so damn easy.

9. DanOregon

If I had to read one of those I might have tried blinking and "SOS" - seriously though - except for the owned and operateds, it seems as if there are very few local station owners who have been around longer than 20 years. The first big cash out was during the first round of deregulation in the 90s. The mom and pops couldn't compete and eventually sold out to regional chains, now chains are selling out to national chains. The point is, it isn't like Sinclair is the exception - there are plenty of Sinclairs out there, they just aren't as big or audacious.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just about every station is owned by a chain, but there are good and bad chains.

Sinclair has horns, a tail and a pitchfork.

11. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Is it accurate to suggest that Sinclair is GateHouse's equivalent in the broadcast industry?

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

As far as I know, GateHouse doesn’t have a political agenda. They’re just in it to suck the business dry.

Draft saved Draft deleted