1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simply Beautiful Songs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Muskrat Love - Captain and Tenile

Longer - Dan Fogelberg

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

On a long drive with my son last night and I actually thought about this thread, but not enough to go back and read 13 pages.
    Anyway, some duet with Kenny Chesney and Dave Matthews? I'm Alive, I think it is called.

Really enjoyed it. Struck me as a song that fits this thread. Off to find it and load it onto the walkman.

4. Moderator1

While I'm talking to myself ****

Hello Walls has to be in the discussion (I hope someone brought it up earlier).

Either Willie's version or Faron Young. Take your pick. But it has to be on there.

5. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

"The River." Either the Joan Baez original or the damn fine cover by Sarah McLachlan. Beautiful, heart-breaking song. Gets me especially dusty now that the holiday season has (almost) hit.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Bad boy had the forethought to have Maria McKee sign backup.

I've heard of people using it as first dance at weddings...nothing like the tempo change from waltz to disco in 4.2 seconds.

Another one I missed: Interpol's "NYC (Turn On the Bright Lights)." Hard not to think of 9-11...if ever there was a tear-jerking guitar freakout...

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'd pick Faron's, but that's just me.

And while we're discussing Willie-written country classics of the early '60s, how about "Crazy" by Patsy Cline?

Actually, you could pick pretty much anything by Patsy....what a voice she had. Her version of "Faded Love" is heartbreakingly beautiful, as is her rendition of "Sweet Dreams."

8. Moderator1

I covered the Tour du Pont for a number of years. Once when it stopped in Winchester, a pack of reporters made it their mission to visit her grave before they left town.
    Yes, she could damn sure sing. Wow.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Heard one come up on my Ipod the other day that belongs in here: "I Am A Rock," the best song Simon and Garfunkel ever did.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

"Bein' Green" came to mind today.

If you want to make yourself cry, I'd suggest searching "Jim Henson funeral" on YouTube.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet; hopefully it has.

Gary Jules, 'Mad World' -- an outstanding video, to boot.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That has been mentioned, and while it's a great song, 'creepy' seems to sum it up better than 'beautiful.' Perfect song for that movie, though, whatever the hell it was about.

Draft saved Draft deleted