1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simply Beautiful Songs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Oct 23, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Michael Buble's "The Way You Look Tonight " is pretty solid stuff but not even close to HC's rendition.

She recorded it for me as a present for our first Christmas and it beats almost any other version, including Sinatra's.

And I'm not kidding.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Man, now you're getting me started. One of my favorite songs ever to listen to and to play on guitar. And now you've forced me to look through my iPod to recall so many other beautiful Sister Hazel songs.

In the Moment
    Meet Me in the Memory
    Tear by Tear
    This Kind of Love
    Beautiful High
    Concede
    Cerilene
    Your Winter

And I could keep going.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I love the version of this song that appeared in the remake of Father of the Bride. Now that I'm getting close to that age where I'm going to be thinking about this, I can't watch that movie without crying - especially when the dad is thinking about how Annie grew up to "Today I Met the Boy I'm Going to Marry" by Darlene Love.

4. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

glad to see you share in the SH love. and yeah, I could have listed several other of their tracks here, but I tried to spread it around a little

5. dprince57

dprince57 Member

I think that Dear Prudence was one of the Beatles most simplistically beautiful songs.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The White Album has without doubt the most starkly beautiful music the B's ever put out:

Dear Prudence
    Julia
    I Will
    Long, Long, Long
    Blackbird

Mother Nature's Son and Martha, My Dear are also very nice, but they veer more into "cute" than "beautiful," as Paul did tend to do. Same can be said for John's "Goodnight," the decade-earlier precursor to "Beautiful Boy."

"Rocky Raccoon," which somebody mentioned earlier on the thread, has an eerie, evocative sound that takes you straight back to Deadwood, 1887, but it's such a sardonic story I've never considered it as "beautiful."

7. bwright

bwright Member

I thought Rocky Raccoon was a unique choice, too.

More than a memory, by Garth Brooks. I know I listed one of his already — and could list a lot more — but this one really fits the bill.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is also absolutely gorgeous.

Oh yes. When that song was released, I was going through a terrible breakup and the first time I heard it, I was driving. Needless to say I had to pull into a parking lot and get out the Kleenex.

Another one by Garth that I discovered while I was listening to some of his old stuff the other day is "Wolves", the final track off the No Fences album. Absolutely beautiful. Nothing but him singing and a six-string.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Nice picks, Starman. Here's another one of the Beatles' most lovely -- and underrated -- tunes:

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Just kill me now if that happens. I had to miss Gaslight when they were here a few weeks ago cause I had to work and am taking so much time off for Bruce shows in November. Apparently, they are working on a new album and expect to be touring again in the new year so hopefully I'll see them then.

11. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

"Closer," Nine Inch Nails.

/jokewasprobablyalreadymade

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

One I don't think it's been mentioned yet, and I can't believe I forgot about it until this point, is Chantal Kreviazuk's Leaving on a Jet Plane:

Draft saved Draft deleted