1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simply Beautiful Songs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Oct 23, 2009.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Anyone mention "Shadowboxer" by Fiona Apple?

2. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

He's only played it something like 4 times since the split and for that reason precisely. If you ever have a chance to check out the SoCo live DVD, it's about as good as it gets on there.

I saw Jack's three times when they toured after the first album and they played a steady mix of SoCo/Jack's then, too. I'm surprised he still plays some of the old songs now that Jack's has more material. He seems like he really wants to separate himself from the old band.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

It was overplayed in its heyday, but Sarah McLachlin's "Angel" is a beautiful track.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Seeing the name Judy Collins finally jogged my memory about a song I was planning to post about but had forgotten: Her cover of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now."

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The king of sad, but beautiful:

Long Gone Lonesome Blues, Hank

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"Scarlet Begonias," Grateful Dead. The description of the girl that caught his eye is poetry...

"She had rings on her fingers and bells on her shoes/I knew without askin' she was into the blues/She wore scarlet begonias tucked into her curls/I knew right away she was not like other girls, other girls..."

7. "Love, Reign o'er Me" -- The Who,
    or the Pearl Jam version,

"Beloved One" -- Ben Harper,

"Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters -- Elton John,

"Things Ain't Like They Used To Be -- The Black Keys,

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Brilliant choice.

There are a lot of wonderful, great songs that have been listed. I'll add to the list "Love Me Tender" and "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Elvis Presley, and.....

- Live at the Royal Command Performance, 1963.

And I want "In My Life" played at my funeral.

9. bwright

bwright Member

The first song that came to mind was "Ireland" by Garth Brooks. That's always been one of my favorites, and I think it fits the bill.

While scanning the thread I thought of these, and I may have simply missed them being mentioned:

Whiskey Lullaby- Brad Paisley/Allison Krauss (I think) This came up at the mention of Allison Krauss. Beautiful song, sad as hell.

He stopped loving her today- George Jones

You Raise Me Up, by (take your pick. Josh Groban, probably). Apparently this isn't necessarily a Christian song? I guess it's open to interpretation. Anyway, I could pick dozens and dozens of hymns/praise/worship. That's a genre chock full of them.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not to mention "Annie" from the same album.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I found this song in a songbook I picked up at an estate sale and remembered the lyrics and learned to play it in guitar. But I hadn't heard it anywhere in at least 25 years. Then, lo and behold, I walked into a Walgreens this afternoon and it was playing over their satellite channel.

Fallin' -- LeBlanc and Carr

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Whiskey Lullaby is the first of 86 songs I posted on this thread, but I didn't put a name on the YouTube link. Brad Paisley does his part extremely well, too, and speaking of Brad, here's my favorite song of his (also done by Patty Loveless, but I like this version much better):

You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive:

Draft saved Draft deleted