1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simply Beautiful Songs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Oct 23, 2009.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Good man - can't believe I forgot "Message to my Girl," especially.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

They just added a special show for a Friday night in December at the Wellmont Theater in Jersey just outside of NYC. The listing says that the show is with "Special Guests." I'm strongly considering going just because they were so good, and because there's always the chance of Springsteen joining them for a song or two since he's done it before.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

true colors by cyndi lauper

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Of course, this song was originally performed by Fleetwood Mac and written by Christine McVie. </grouchy pedant>

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

On my iTunes "25 Most Played" list, 9 of them are by the Gaslight Anthem. Tremendous album.

6. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Here's some more for us kids who listen to the emo/alt rock bands of the 00s.

"Play Crack the Sky" - Brand New
    "Overdue" - The Get Up Kids
    "New American Classic" - Taking Back Sunday
    "Existentialism on Prom Night" - Straylight Run
    "Lullaby" - The Spill Canvas
    "The Best of Me (Acoustic)" - The Starting Line
    "Freakish" - Saves The Day
    "Swing Life Away" - Rise Against
    "Remember To Breathe" - Dashboard Confessional
    And I can't believe I almost forgot, "Konstantine" - Something Corporate

Plenty of SoCo/Jack's Mannequin could qualify here, though. One of my favorites is SoCo's cover of Dylan's "Just Like A Woman."

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

"Mad World"-Gary Jules version. Hauntingly beautiful. (song from Donnie Darko)
    "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"-Green Day
    "Let it Be"-The Beatles

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It's funny you mention Konstantine. I saw Andrew McMahon play this past Monday for an acoustic set. It was him, his piano and his guitarist. He played half SoCo and half Jack's Mannequin songs. I went expecting mostly Jack's songs so hearing "The Astronaut," "21 and Invincible," "Cavanaugh Park," etc was awesome.

However, one guy kept yelling for "Konstantine" and McMahon got genuinely pissed at him. He said that if he played it there he'd have to play it everywhere and it's too long and takes up too much of the set. It was pretty funny, and he was right, even if it would have been amazing to hear him play "Konstantine."

Also, great call on "Existentialism on Prom Night."

And can't believe I forgot Anna Nalick to this point.

Both "Breathe" and her latest, "Shine," work well.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Good call on "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt. It's a song that made me think of my mother before she and I reconnected.

Here's a vote for "At Seventeen" by Janis Ian. If you really pay attention to the lyrics, they're really heartbreaking.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

'Someday Soon' by Ian Tyson:

(Same song by Tyson with Sylvia Fricker and Judy Collins:)

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Rufus Wainwright's cover of "Across The Universe"

And good to see that Konstantine and Existentialism on Prom Night were also mentioned. I still haven't fully grown out of my emo phase.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Some great subtle guitar work by Robin Trower.

In this Place:

Draft saved Draft deleted